Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
By Davideverona
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm already wondering where they could go from here.

The Ghostbusters having to restart the business has been done to death.

The Ghostbusters being an active reality doesn't offer so much in terms of creativity. They bust ghosts, then there is a greater threat that have to be stopped.

Maybe they should pull an "Avengers Infinity War"? Have the busters loose the Great Battle and that turns NY (and the world) in a post apocalyptic land. It take some years to figure out how to restore things to normalcy.

So, the ones who saw the movie have some suggestions / desires?
By tylergfoster
Well, based on the box office, I think it's safe to say that whatever it is will not be an Avengers-style thing, because they're going to have to do a lateral move in the budget or tighten things up and go back to the $75m range.

If I'm going off of Frozen Empire, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is following the thread from this one about what it's like to be a ghost. Phoebe's experience could lead to some sort of new discovery about ghosts that the Ghostbusters follow up on.
Davideverona liked this
By BrianReilly
I’d love to see some actual ghostbusting in a sequel. The opening chase was pretty great, even if it was essentially recreating the Muncher chase from Afterlife.

If they’re taking inspiration from RGB, there’s plenty of episodes that start with the crew being bored with the day to day drudgery. It works in RGB, of course, because we’ve seen it there. So show some of that.

I also don’t think every film needs a world-ending threat. Like, high stakes drama does not need to equal all the stakes all the time.

Let’s see some ghostbusting. Let’s see some actual paranormal investigation (not just exposition dumps from Aykroyd and Oswalt). Let’s see what this crew can do when we give them some actual screen time.

Pick a character arc for each of our main four and follow them through! Maybe do a second pass of the script! I know, I’m talking crazy.
Davideverona, tylergfoster, Nadrarak and 3 others liked this
By tylergfoster
BrianReilly wrote: March 24th, 2024, 1:19 pmLet’s see some ghostbusting. Let’s see some actual paranormal investigation (not just exposition dumps from Aykroyd and Oswalt). Let’s see what this crew can do when we give them some actual screen time.

Pick a character arc for each of our main four and follow them through! Maybe do a second pass of the script! I know, I’m talking crazy.
This too. The original Ghostbusters establishes the supernatural threat as the plot, but if the plot is the character dynamics, then they can just bust a bunch of average ghosts without a major threat and the movie could not only break new ground, it would also be a nice way for it to be a bit cheaper. I don't know if audiences would embrace it, especially if it were in any way sentimental (and it feels hard to come up with a meaningful character arc to devote a whole movie to that isn't more dramatic than comedic, even if they execute it in the most comedic way possible), but I also think that if there's another Spengler clan Ghostbusters movie, it will probably be viewed as a finale to a trilogy that started with Afterlife.
By zeta otaku
Honestly, I'd love to see EXPANSION be a thing. I'm not saying every movie be a new team, but I think it'd be awesome if there was an anthology mini-series following a couple different teams on smaller cases in other cities/countries. A haunted manor in the UK one week, figuring out why the toilets keep screaming in a hotel in Chicago. Something mauling moose in Canada. They don't even need to connect story-wise. Have the intro narrated by Ray or Winston with a cut-away cameo to Ray in an episode or two to help look up local lore or something to have those strings of connection to the originals.

That all said, I feel the MOVIES should stick with the New York crew
By mrmichaelt
WITHIN THE MOVIE

More busting. Really need to bring back the montages. Get to see quick one-and-dones, more ghost + tech, locations etc. Breathing room for the audience.

I'm fine with bureaucracy but I want less... one dimensional bureaucracy and get a bit more creative. We need less of the structure of I'm gonna shut you down--scenes--you're shut down--ghost outbreak--the world saved. IDW got creative with Peck, Hardemeyer, and other bureaucracy stuff.

STORY-WISE

On one hand, they could easily do case-of-week with high stakes. e.g. Investigate a haunted house call, they're trapped in the house, discover there's more to the entity than it sees/misclassified the threat level. Haunting of Heck House, Home is where the Horror is, and the like tackled great takes on this premise. Or dealing with a bogeyman type of entity. A mystery recalling more investigation/detective work.

On the other hand, expansion sounds like a given and they've been hinting at going international. Especially since it's likely to be another time skip. Given every city has Peck-type, straight up starting a franchise might not be viable. So I think the way to go is Winston being sneaky with Zeddemore Industries installing Paranormal Research Centers in potential cities and the Engineer Corps runs an assessment (scale of lore in the city, P.K.E. levels, amount of hauntings) then files a report with the home office and Winston makes the call to run the legal gambit in installing a Ghostbusters franchise and dealing with the local bureaucracy. Over x years, franchises are established across the USA as Winston moves westward. Then eventually the same idea internationally in other countries.

I think they need to figure out a way to leverage canon tie-in content. So far, their first move was a tie-in comic exploring the gap between Afterlife and Frozen Empire. I would really want to see a comic covering post-GB2 up to Egon leaving and closing down the business. They have to be/need to eventually dip their toes into live action series e.g. Ghostbusters franchises, exploring the past like with a Tobin show or a show about a certain group introduced in Frozen Empire, a show starring the Engineer Corps, etc.
By UncannyGirl
To avoid spoilers, Frozen Empire was a standalone story with a bloated cast and a short time. These are all elements which result in the average non-devoted to IP theater viewer from enjoying or paying for tickets.

While Frozen Empire will likely get away with fans being a Saturday Morning Cartoons Ex-Machina plot, it's not something which burns up the box office numbers. Whatever film follows Frozen Empire needs to do just that. It's vital that any future installments appeal to more than Ghostbusters fans. On the plus note, after two back-to-back "Passing the Torch" films. We are ready for films with a smaller more streamline cast AND plot.

After four films, the franchise needs a End Game. We need a series of 3+ films which tell the tale of one HUGE bad guy. With multiple films of build up all to justify seeing the new story to its conclusion. I honestly believe, if Ghostbusters is not approached like Spider-Verse aka the team at Ghost Corps take the time to hammer out the story shell of the next several films... we likely will see Ghostbusters leave the bring screen.

Film Critics want more '84 one-off comedy focused movies, fans of Ghostbusters want story, so, the only way to make them happy. Is shift their view one what Ghostbusters is by not being another stand-alone film.
By tylergfoster
Based on UncannyGirl's post and some of the other discussions in here since the initial post, I'd hope that the next Ghostbusters film, should we get another one based on Frozen Empire's success, should be a conclusion to the Phoebe Spengler story. In particular, the movie should be about Phoebe and Callie becoming closer and forming a complete family unit with Gary and Trevor, with Phoebe learning to connect to people who are alive a bit better than various ghosts. Not only would that give poor Carrie Coon something to do in one of these movies, it would also be a story that has fully to do with the new characters, and it could eschew the world-ending threat stuff for one movie.

At that point I think it would be easier to move on (even if we see Phoebe and the new cast again somewhere else) to a new take that takes another stab at bringing in new fans. Although who knows, if they conclude the Spengler family arc, it would not be surprising if Sony takes a bit of a break.
RiverofSlime liked this
By BrianReilly
UncannyGirl wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:15 amFilm Critics want more '84 one-off comedy focused movies
I think film critics just want generally good movies.

The average Ghostbusters fan might love Afterlife and Frozen Empire, but they are just not that well put together movies, and they feel very much like product rather than art. Not that all films should or do aspire to being "art," but it's obvious when a movie "aspires" to be a successful product.

It's similar to what has happened to Marvel's films. They started a new storyline in a direction that audiences and critics didn't care for, but the product strategy requires they stay the course until the films in production are completed and they can pivot. And the reworking of a bunch of the films and tv series in the meantime makes the edits and cuts super obvious and as a result they feel even more like soulless products.

There is also this weird attitude that is super prevalent in GB fandom that the critics have it out to get Ghostbusters movies by expecting a consistent plot structure and complete character arcs and actual jokes instead of repeating lines from previous films and treating that like a joke. What do we hope to gain by demanding less?
By tylergfoster
BrianReilly wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:22 pmI think film critics just want generally good movies.

The average Ghostbusters fan might love Afterlife and Frozen Empire, but they are just not that well put together movies, and they feel very much like product rather than art.

There is also this weird attitude that is super prevalent in GB fandom that the critics have it out to get Ghostbusters movies by expecting a consistent plot structure and complete character arcs and actual jokes instead of repeating lines from previous films and treating that like a joke. What do we hope to gain by demanding less?
I don't necessarily agree that they feel like product, in the sense that I do believe that Jason and Gil are sincere in their desire to deliver a funny, fun movie that adds to the story they're telling with these new characters, but I do agree that it's kind of shocking how sloppy these new movies are, even though I like them (and that includes the 2016 movie, which I defend but have always wanted to do a fan edit for to put back in story elements that were deleted for mediocre riffing). I know that these are expensive, big-budget projects but it's kind of crazy how easy it is to poke holes in the plot construction and overall rigor with which the stories were constructed.

For example, we have the whole debate going on about whether or not Winston has hidden the Paranormal Research Lab from the Spenglers for two years. On top of there being no explanation as to why he would do this, I also have to admit I straight-up had no idea how much time had passed between Afterlife and Frozen Empire going strictly off the new movie. As I suggested when I wrote my lengthy review post, the movie would have really benefitted from a introductory scene after the prologue showing them bringing in boxes and unpacking stuff, only to get a surprise call and Gary encouraging them all to go see what's up. We'd establish that no matter what amount of time had passed between the two films, the Spenglers were still getting their bearings, they were just starting to try and take over the mantle, why Peck hadn't previously clocked their return, why Winston was only just now telling them about the lab...

Can I overlook this and just enjoy the movie? Sure. But as one can see from the list of things this would provide an explanation for, this one plot point -- the very first thing we see the new characters doing in this movie -- is already pretty muddled. I also think Afterlife has twice as many of these problems, and what's especially frustrating about all of this is that you can tell all three of the 21st century Ghostbusters movies had the pieces in there, somewhere. Traces of what they might have thought they wanted to do with the characters and their arcs remain. So close, yet so far.
By gerard55
Wherever they go i hope they take those stupid shields off the wand barrel, why cover up the main moving part on it? It makes the pop mech utterly pointless.

And yes more actual ghost busting would be nice, rather than one at the start (which was basically the muncher bust recycled in new york with a new prop for hasbro to make toys from) then 1 at the end. For a movie called 'Ghostbusters' you would think this wouldn't even have to be brought up, yet quite a few reviews and fans online have mentioned the distinct lack of actual busting of ghosts...
By joezlo
Please, no montage.
1 & 2 did it to death.
I think that's why there wasn't one in the new film (the montage repeat was something critics panned about 2)

I'm sure the creative team have ideas of their own.
I just hope they consider pulling a Marvel and pulling from source material like the cartoons and comics.

Ideas that would be great for films, within a reasonable budget:

Sandman, Boogieman, Grundel, Hob Anagarak, Tempest, Akira, Fear Itself, The Power Munchers, Jeremy & DiTillio, Gu Mo the Bone Demon, Erland Vinter, Illdunas just to name a few.

Whole stories that have potential:
GB International
Ray's Duke of Duncal ep
The Thing in Mrs Favishom's Attic
The Sheers of Life
XGB's episode about Ed Corillian
The Ghostsmashers IDW
XGB the ghostmakers

There's a ton that could make for good cinema if expanded upon.
alphabeta001 liked this
By Davideverona
If they stay in New York, I'd like for ALL the city to be under the villain siege, so the various busters have to split up and work separately from various locations.

At the beginning of the movie they are on what they believe is a routine bust. This time, the ghost is smarter: he defeat them and claim New York as his reign and the city slowly becomes a nightmare (There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red).

We see a caption "Six months later".

The busters are still active but now they simply help people who have to deal with pesky spirits and are trying to figure out how to defeat the Big Bad. When they have the right idea, they starts organizing a rebellion, with civilians who enlists to help.
By RichardLess
The REAL future? Or my IDEAL future? Those are two very different things lol

I’ll go with what they should do. If they were smart.

If they make another live action film, which is looking doubtful, get rid of the Spengler family. Bring back the irreverent tone. Make it an out and out comedy.

The movie is about Ray Stanz. Sort of. It’s also a going into business movie. Sort off.

Ray moves out west. Or to Chicago. Winston wants to open up a franchise out there and so he sends Ray to represent Ghostbusters INC at the “West Coast Franchise Expo”. Ray’s job is to approve and help set up the next GB franchise. It’s not going well. He’s laughed at. No one wants to buy.

We also are crossing cutting with another story of some down on their luck friends (One is a recently fired scientist at a local community college and the others are his two best friends who run a dead end private Eye business)

These 3 friends just so happen to have bonded over growing up in New York in the 80s. Two of them witnessed a walking Marshmallow Man. The other saw the Statue of Liberty Walking. But no one ever believed them. The scientist dedicated his life to proving it was real. Only to discover…for some reason, Ghost do not photograph(without special equipment). Anyways, the friends decide to pool their money and buy some Restaurant at the local franchise Expo. But hidden in some dank corner is Ray’s GB franchise booth. The one friend(the scientist) “Jack and the beanstalks” them, comes back announcing instead of buying the lucrative restaurant franchise, he purchased Ghostbusters!

Anyways, paranormal hilarity ensues. We go against the nostalgia thing a bit. A Ecto 1A roars to life on the first big bust, pulls out of the west coast GBHQ, and sputters, stalls. The GB’s get out and it collapses into a heap up rusted metal. One of the characters says “Oh I’m sure we can buff that right out” and the heap of Ecto 1A sets fire. They arrive to their first case in an Uber.

The first bust is against an entity that uses sonic forces, and it blows and tears the clothing right off people ala the video game character Kirby. So the group busts their first ghost half naked.

Who are the new GB’s? Ryan Gosling. Kevin Hart. Stephen Merchant. And 4th member gets added who’s played by Emma Stone or Dakota Johnson. Truly I’d like Helena Bonham Carter though.

Anyways. That’s the future. Or rather, what the future should be. In my humble opinion.
By JonXCTrack
I'm done with the focus being on Phoebe. The first two films weren't about a specific character.

I'd like to see "Ghostbusters International" be about Callie, Gary, Nadeem, and Lars going to Old Europe to investigate Houska Castle. Phoebe, Trevor, Ray, and Winston can stay behind in NYC to work in the paranormal research center and provide remote support. I can already hear Stantz giving this new team a warning before they depart:

"Hidden by thick forestry, Houska Castle in Czechia is shrouded in nightmarish myth and occultist legend. It was built atop a cliff in Prague's countryside, mysteriously isolated from all trade routes. It had no source of water or fortification. Some say it wasn't built to keep evil from entering — but to prevent it from spilling out."

The prologue writes itself. You have some guide telling tourists "Houska Castle, and most specifically the chapel, was constructed over a large hole in the ground that is a gateway to Hell, which is allegedly so deep that no one could see the bottom of it. Animal-human hybrids were reported to have crawled out of it, and dark-winged, otherworldly creatures flew in its vicinity. Legend has it that when construction began in the castle, all of the prisoners that were sentenced to death were offered a pardon if they consented to be lowered by rope into the hole, and report back on what they saw. When the first person was lowered, he began screaming after a few seconds, and when pulled back to the surface, he looked as if he had aged 30 years. He had grown wrinkles and his hair had turned white." You could then either do a flashback depicting someone being lowered into the pit and seeing a horrific creature, or have a tourist lag behind the group and encounter something horrific. Then cut to the logo and cue the theme song.
By tylergfoster
I definitely don't want to abandon Phoebe or the Spengler clan. Phoebe, to me, is the #1 thing these new movies have going for them and the more focus on her, the better. I liked that Frozen Empire started to develop the idea that Ray is turning into an uncle of sorts to her, and there should be some more of that in the next one, if it happens.

That said, I do still feel like it would also be fine to leave those characters behind if they make one more movie, because then Afterlife, Frozen Empire, and a third film would form a trilogy arc for those characters. At that point, you could go in any number of directions while allowing those characters to still be out there somewhere.
By WCat2000
Phoebe is the best of the new characters and assuming they’d time jump she won’t be a minor and can do more. She has to remain. Getting rid of any of the family (including Grooberson cause he’s clearly part of the family now) would be an awful step backwards and wouldn’t make any sense. A movie focusing on another team somewhere else is cool but the NY team is established as the Spenglers.

I like the rival team and traveling ideas. I’d probably go with either of those. They’re different enough from just introducing another monster.

Ghostbusters Inc. is something I’ve always wanted but I’d like to see the current team do something together for an entire adventure first.

Probably in the minority with this but Ray and Winston are the only legacy characters that should return onscreen. Winston because he runs the business and Ray because he loves it. I’m glad Ray had a legitimate part in FE because I know Dan Aykroyd wanted to do another GB probably more than any of the other original cast members.
By tylergfoster
WCat2000 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 11:34 amProbably in the minority with this but Ray and Winston are the only legacy characters that should return onscreen. Winston because he runs the business and Ray because he loves it. I’m glad Ray had a legitimate part in FE because I know Dan Aykroyd wanted to do another GB probably more than any of the other original cast members.
I'm fine with having Bill back as long as he's willing to do it. I would find it odd to have two out of three living Ghostbusters. I'd be quicker to let Janine go, and I don't necessarily need Peck to continue antagonizing them beyond his appearance in this movie.
By WCat2000
tylergfoster wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:17 pm
WCat2000 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 11:34 amProbably in the minority with this but Ray and Winston are the only legacy characters that should return onscreen. Winston because he runs the business and Ray because he loves it. I’m glad Ray had a legitimate part in FE because I know Dan Aykroyd wanted to do another GB probably more than any of the other original cast members.
I'm fine with having Bill back as long as he's willing to do it. I would find it odd to have two out of three living Ghostbusters. I'd be quicker to let Janine go, and I don't necessarily need Peck to continue antagonizing them beyond his appearance in this movie.
I said only Ray and Winston because the others aren’t doing much. Not singling out Bill Murray. Anyone from the originals. They can be around but any storyline is gonna have new people they need to focus on. Especially if it’s a rival team plot.
By RichardLess
tylergfoster wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:27 am I definitely don't want to abandon Phoebe or the Spengler clan. Phoebe, to me, is the #1 thing these new movies have going for them and the more focus on her, the better. I liked that Frozen Empire started to develop the idea that Ray is turning into an uncle of sorts to her, and there should be some more of that in the next one, if it happens.

That said, I do still feel like it would also be fine to leave those characters behind if they make one more movie, because then Afterlife, Frozen Empire, and a third film would form a trilogy arc for those characters. At that point, you could go in any number of directions while allowing those characters to still be out there somewhere.
I love Phoebe. She’s the best thing, 100%. It’s a great performance. She’s great. The movies around her aren’t.

But mostly I just dislike the family shit. Busting ghosts as a family, with mom and the brother and the step dad. I can’t stand that idea. Never have. Phoebe and Trevor, who looks 12, working as a Ghostbusters(which was good to see this latest movie make a meal out of. Peck was right!) is another thing I dislike. That whole Jr Ghostbusters thing. Yeah Trevor is technically an adult. I don’t care. He looks 12. His face annoys me, his voice annoys me. The kid is an empty husk of nothingness. Okay, that’s harsh. It was bad casting and worked against the movies.

I just want a fresh start. Leave everything from the last 2 movies behind. That unfortunately includes Phoebe. And the Spenglers.

Also. Did I miss something? Why are they calling themselves the Spenglers? They abandoned their original last name for the last name of this person they don’t know?

Anyways. Here’s a reason why we need to cut ties to this and start anew. Money.

This second weekend drop will be above 60% me thinks. The Sunday to Monday drop was huge. This will probably end up as the lowest grossing GB film.

You do what I just said, with the cast I just named, that’s interesting. That’s something I think people will see and go “Ryan Gosling as a Ghostbuster? Ken? I’m there”.

One last roll of the dice. Take a big swing. The cast will cost a lot. Christmas release. Lose Jason & Gil(sorry guys). If they aren’t going to hire me to write it, I’d hire Greg Daniels, Mike Schur, Armando Iannuci, Craig Mazin and/or Dan Harmon.

Those are the only known names that I think would get the tone of ghostbusters right. Directors? Again if I’m not available I’d get Gore Verbinski to direct it, Todd Phillips, before they won Oscar for Everything Everywhere All At Once I’d say the Two Daniels, Adam McKay, I would’ve said the Russo Brothers once upon a time, Shane Black,

There. That’s the formula for a successful Ghostbusters movie. Hire the names up there. Of course that will never happen in a million years but a man can dream.
By GuyX
RichardLess wrote: March 26th, 2024, 10:56 pm The REAL future? Or my IDEAL future? Those are two very different things lol

I’ll go with what they should do. If they were smart.

If they make another live action film, which is looking doubtful, get rid of the Spengler family. Bring back the irreverent tone. Make it an out and out comedy.

The movie is about Ray Stanz. Sort of. It’s also a going into business movie. Sort off.

Ray moves out west. Or to Chicago. Winston wants to open up a franchise out there and so he sends Ray to represent Ghostbusters INC at the “West Coast Franchise Expo”. Ray’s job is to approve and help set up the next GB franchise. It’s not going well. He’s laughed at. No one wants to buy.

We also are crossing cutting with another story of some down on their luck friends (One is a recently fired scientist at a local community college and the others are his two best friends who run a dead end private Eye business)

These 3 friends just so happen to have bonded over growing up in New York in the 80s. Two of them witnessed a walking Marshmallow Man. The other saw the Statue of Liberty Walking. But no one ever believed them. The scientist dedicated his life to proving it was real. Only to discover…for some reason, Ghost do not photograph(without special equipment). Anyways, the friends decide to pool their money and buy some Restaurant at the local franchise Expo. But hidden in some dank corner is Ray’s GB franchise booth. The one friend(the scientist) “Jack and the beanstalks” them, comes back announcing instead of buying the lucrative restaurant franchise, he purchased Ghostbusters!

Anyways, paranormal hilarity ensues. We go against the nostalgia thing a bit. A Ecto 1A roars to life on the first big bust, pulls out of the west coast GBHQ, and sputters, stalls. The GB’s get out and it collapses into a heap up rusted metal. One of the characters says “Oh I’m sure we can buff that right out” and the heap of Ecto 1A sets fire. They arrive to their first case in an Uber.

The first bust is against an entity that uses sonic forces, and it blows and tears the clothing right off people ala the video game character Kirby. So the group busts their first ghost half naked.

Who are the new GB’s? Ryan Gosling. Kevin Hart. Stephen Merchant. And 4th member gets added who’s played by Emma Stone or Dakota Johnson. Truly I’d like Helena Bonham Carter though.

Anyways. That’s the future. Or rather, what the future should be. In my humble opinion.
Where have I seen most of that plot b4?

Ur insane. No offense. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

As much as I loved ❤️ ur script. HELL NO. U ain’t coming 4 my Phoebe!!! That girl is too precious. & Gary! Podcast! Nooooo way. Come on Rich, these r wonderful characters. I kno u see that.

I haven’t seen ur Frozen Empire thoughts but 2 me it seems 2 address almost every1 of ur Afterlife problems. I’ve seen it twice now & it’s so much fun. ❤️❤️. It’s so great to have a GB.movie back in theatres!!

I def recommend ppl see it twice. I was a little taken aback on 1st watch. It surprised me.

I kno this is about the future but does any1 think Mckenna does such a good job as Phoebe she should warrant sum award consideration?
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:27 pmAlso. Did I miss something? Why are they calling themselves the Spenglers? They abandoned their original last name for the last name of this person they don’t know?
Is it actually in the movie anywhere that they've ever called themselves anything else?
RichardLess wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:27 pmAnyways. Here’s a reason why we need to cut ties to this and start anew. Money.

This second weekend drop will be above 60% me thinks. The Sunday to Monday drop was huge. This will probably end up as the lowest grossing GB film.

You do what I just said, with the cast I just named, that’s interesting. That’s something I think people will see and go “Ryan Gosling as a Ghostbuster? Ken? I’m there”.
I know you say at the end that this stuff "will never happen," but I guess the question is, you understand it's because none of those people would want to do it, right? Most of them have better things to do than be in the third contemporary go at a franchise that appears to be floundering even with the original characters back and a significantly reduced budget. They're playing to the fans already and it doesn't seem to be working. I think pretty much everyone you named would look at jumping on board an expensive Ghostbusters movie as a sign of desperation on both their part and the studio's.
By timeware
I think we can move on from New York. As most of the filming was done in the UK the Ghostbusters should think about opening a London Office. There's plenty of mythology they could explore. The Ghostbusters facing something like Sam Hain would have a better effect among castles, and scenery like Tintagel. Maybe even the tower of london.

If Jason and Gil continue to borrow from RGB Rudd could be inheriting property from a relative that leads them to London leaving Finn, Lucky, and the OG's behind in New York. Rudd takes Phoebe, Podcast and maybe Ray with him.
By RichardLess
tylergfoster wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:31 pm
RichardLess wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:27 pmAlso. Did I miss something? Why are they calling themselves the Spenglers? They abandoned their original last name for the last name of this person they don’t know?
Is it actually in the movie anywhere that they've ever called themselves anything else?
RichardLess wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:27 pmAnyways. Here’s a reason why we need to cut ties to this and start anew. Money.

I know you say at the end that this stuff "will never happen," but I guess the question is, you understand it's because none of those people would want to do it, right? Most of them have better things to do than be in the third contemporary go at a franchise that appears to be floundering even with the original characters back and a significantly reduced budget. They're playing to the fans already and it doesn't seem to be working. I think pretty much everyone you named would look at jumping on board an expensive Ghostbusters movie as a sign of desperation on both their part and the studio's.
If their last name is Spengler then that makes the whole thing even worse. It would mean Egon married and no. Just…no. I can buy the man procreating. But would never marry. But maybe you’re right. Maybe it was Spengler all along.

Would those people go anywhere near this franchise? It depends. It’s not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. Gosling seems to do what he wants & doesn’t care much about perception. Kevin Hart has had a stalling career for a few years. He’s do it for sure for the right $. Stephen Merchant isn’t busy. He isn’t ungettable. He did Logan. I think if you asked them “Do you want to do a Ghostbusters movie” they’d probably say no. But with a great script and a talented director? Anything’s possible. And oh yeah. Money. That never hurts.

Gosling has worked with Shane Black before. Black isn’t above working on franchises that are well established & even struggling. A Ghostbusters movie written by Dan Harmon & Shane Black, Directed by Black? That would get people interested by itself.

Some actors and directors like the challenge. “Hey here’s this struggling franchise. Work your magic”.

If I was running Sony first thing I’d do is probably disband Ghostcorp. Spend a a good chunk of money on behind the scenes talent. No offense to the guys working now on these movies but the original Ghostbusters movies had a murderers row of concept artists, VFX guys, lighting teams, production design. Top dogs. Names like Bernie Wrightson, Ronn Cobb, Lazlo Kovac, Richard Edlund, Steve Johnston, Elmer Bernstein, John Decuir, Dennis Murren, Michael Chapman, Bo Welch.

Anyways, I’d take one final massive swing for the fences. Enough with the reverence for the sacredness of the franchise. Have your cake and eat it too. Be a Ghostbusters movie while making fun of being a Ghostbusters movie, and then by the end own being a ghostbusters movie. It’s a tight rope to walk.

Maybe pull a Real Ghostbusters or The Boys and have a Ghostbusters movie being made. A show trailer for it at some point. It’s this slick Oscar bait Hollywoodized melodrama. Ray conjured up the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man because his dad was killed when Ray was a little boy in a car accident and the driver responsible was driving a Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck. In the Hollywood version of Ghostbusters Ray breaks down crying at the end saying “This is for you Daddy” as he crosses the streams. Ray is played by Matt Damon. Who goes on to win an Oscar for the role.

While out west Ray meets up with Hollywood writers as part of Winston’s new franchise outreach and the movie can just take the piss out of the whole thing. Or have him meet with Toy developers. Ray: “Where’s the Ray toy fellas?” Nervous executive “Um our internal data suggests no one would want to play with a Ray action figure. So instead…meet Aaron” the executive holds up a beautiful blonde blue eyed chiseled looking Toy. Ray “Aaron looks a little too…Aryan” exec “No it’s just Aaron. We were going to go with Brad but…Brad is a stupid name! Idiotic! Ridiculous!” there’s an awkward silence. The executive suddenly looks like he wants to cry. He shakes out of it as the toy presentation continues. One of the other toy company execs leans in and whispers to Ray “His wife left him 6 months ago for her personal trainer. She originally suggested the name Brad” Ray “Oh. I see. And the trainer’s name was…” “Yeah. Brad”
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 1:12 amIf their last name is Spengler then that makes the whole thing even worse. It would mean Egon married and no. Just…no.
Not necessarily. It just means the mom, who Callie has never mentioned, must have been less present than Egon. Maybe she died in childbirth, which is the only explanation that immediately comes to mind where she'd be mad at Egon for being absent but not the mysterious mother.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 1:12 amWould those people go anywhere near this franchise? It depends. It’s not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. Gosling seems to do what he wants & doesn’t care much about perception. Kevin Hart has had a stalling career for a few years. He’s do it for sure for the right $. Stephen Merchant isn’t busy. He isn’t ungettable. He did Logan. I think if you asked them “Do you want to do a Ghostbusters movie” they’d probably say no. But with a great script and a talented director? Anything’s possible. And oh yeah. Money. That never hurts.
Yeah, well, money's the big thing, and I think the bigger hurdle is that if Sony proceeds with more Ghostbusters content, they're going to want to spend less, not more. Doubly so given that one of their biggest and most successful 2023 releases was a $25m rom-com (and they had another buzzy, albeit less successful one earlier in the year, which coincidentally was by the guys who almost wrote Ghostbusters 3).

I'm also not sure where you get the idea that Hart's career is suffering recently. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think Hart actually has the kind of career that the contemporary industry looks at as ideal. He's more like a brand than a person, and people know him and his brand. His movies don't even have to be huge hits because half of them go to streaming now, where they care about BS metrics like impressions and whatnot. He's definitely not what one would've thought of as a movie star 25 years ago, but I suspect the way things are now, credit card commercials are actually considered a good thing.

In any case, I would suggest we look back at the information from the leaks, at the 2014 list of people Sony shopped Ghostbusters to before they went the reboot route, and all of those comedy directors and actors who were resistant to the idea of jumping on board, and that was back when Sony was planning on spending $150-$200m on reviving the series, and before there was the notion that there was an especially vocal fanbase to appease or a box office trend to overcome. Frankly, I think the likelihood that major stars or filmmakers are going to hop on board just because Sony has a wheelbarrow of cash is pretty low. Jason was lucky in that jumping on Ghostbusters was somewhat natural, and even then he got lots of accusations of nepotism and selling out. I think the likelihood that people will look at anyone major signing onto the series now as a cash grab, desperate to make up for the middling grosses of Frozen Empire, are even higher.
By RichardLess
tylergfoster wrote: March 28th, 2024, 9:35 am
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 1:12 amIf their last name is Spengler then that makes the whole thing even worse. It would mean Egon married and no. Just…no.
Not necessarily. It just means the mom, who Callie has never mentioned, must have been less present than Egon. Maybe she died in childbirth, which is the only explanation that immediately comes to mind where she'd be mad at Egon for being absent but not the mysterious mother.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 1:12 amWould those people go anywhere near this franchise? It depends. It’s not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. Gosling seems to do what he wants & doesn’t care much about perception. Kevin Hart has had a stalling career for a few years. He’s do it for sure for the right $. Stephen Merchant isn’t busy. He isn’t ungettable. He did Logan. I think if you asked them “Do you want to do a Ghostbusters movie” they’d probably say no. But with a great script and a talented director? Anything’s possible. And oh yeah. Money. That never hurts.
Yeah, well, money's the big thing, and I think the bigger hurdle is that if Sony proceeds with more Ghostbusters content, they're going to want to spend less, not more. Doubly so given that one of their biggest and most successful 2023 releases was a $25m rom-com (and they had another buzzy, albeit less successful one earlier in the year, which coincidentally was by the guys who almost wrote Ghostbusters 3).

I'm also not sure where you get the idea that Hart's career is suffering recently. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think Hart actually has the kind of career that the contemporary industry looks at as ideal. He's more like a brand than a person, and people know him and his brand. His movies don't even have to be huge hits because half of them go to streaming now, where they care about BS metrics like impressions and whatnot. He's definitely not what one would've thought of as a movie star 25 years ago, but I suspect the way things are now, credit card commercials are actually considered a good thing.

In any case, I would suggest we look back at the information from the leaks, at the 2014 list of people Sony shopped Ghostbusters to before they went the reboot route, and all of those comedy directors and actors who were resistant to the idea of jumping on board, and that was back when Sony was planning on spending $150-$200m on reviving the series, and before there was the notion that there was an especially vocal fanbase to appease or a box office trend to overcome. Frankly, I think the likelihood that major stars or filmmakers are going to hop on board just because Sony has a wheelbarrow of cash is pretty low. Jason was lucky in that jumping on Ghostbusters was somewhat natural, and even then he got lots of accusations of nepotism and selling out. I think the likelihood that people will look at anyone major signing onto the series now as a cash grab, desperate to make up for the middling grosses of Frozen Empire, are even higher.
Your last sentence gives people waaaay too much credit. A cash grab? Lol. People don’t care about that or low box office grosses. You do. I do. But people? No. Let’s be honest here. Most movies are cash grabs. People don’t care.

You aren’t sure where I get the idea that Kevin Harts career is suffering? He hasn’t been in a big movie in about 5 years. Look at his filmography and IMDb page. The Man From Toronto? Kevin would 10000% do a Ghostbusters movie for the bag. (I’ve actually briefly met Kevin Hart and he’s a really nice guy. His bodyguard is like a legit magician and claimed he came up with the idea for the Penn and Teller “Fool Us” Tv Show). He’s the only person I am positive without a doubt would do it.

And most people will do anything for money. The list of those who won’t is small and includes Josh Hartnett. Shit Martin Scorsese will pimp himself out for visa commercial or what have you. If i said “Hey Ryan Gosling. Here’s 15 million and a passion project greenlight” you think he says no to that?

And as for the leaks, I mean, they had top filmmakers like Lord/Miller and the Russo’s banging at their door. The leaks mention specific set of people like the Apatow crowd weren’t interested. And I think alot of filmmakers/actors were wary of Ivan Reitman breathing down their neck.

All it takes to pique the interest of top talent is other top talent. Ivan was seen as passed his prime. You get a Shane Black/Dan Harmon/Richardless on a Ghostbusters project, it’s a different thing.

The only name I mentioned that probably would be the hardest is Gosling. And Stone. But The Nice Guys kinda reinvented how people see Gosling working with Shane Black might be doable. Black did a Predator movie and a 3rd Iron Man so it isn’t beyond him.

Another thing I’d consider is making it R Rated. Really put something on the line, change it up.
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amYour last sentence gives people waaaay too much credit. A cash grab? Lol. People don’t care about that or low box office grosses. You do. I do. But people? No. Let’s be honest here. Most movies are cash grabs. People don’t care.
I would say "cash grab" is pretty close to the top of the list of complaints I see regular people lob at movies all the time.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amYou aren’t sure where I get the idea that Kevin Harts career is suffering? He hasn’t been in a big movie in about 5 years.
Again, I really do think given how the celebrity ecosystem is changing these days, I honestly think that his agents believe the streaming stuff he's pumping out constitutes "big movies" and that they would probably argue that he's one of the biggest stars in the world. And he does have Borderlands coming out. Does this make sense to me, personally? No. I think the streaming stuff is vaporware. But I would be really surprised if you asked Kevin Hart himself if he thought his movie career could use a jumpstart and he said yes.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amAnd as for the leaks, I mean, they had top filmmakers like Lord/Miller and the Russo’s banging at their door.
Lord and Miller turned down Ghostbusters. The studio asked them, not them asking the studio.

https://www.cbr.com/chris-miller-and-ph ... busters-3/

https://www.firstshowing.net/2014/lord- ... busters-3/

When they talked a little more about it in 2022, their comments didn't suggest that those reports from 2014 were incorrect. They worked on it some, even developing it a bit with Ivan, but they were the ones who put it aside.

https://theplaylist.net/lord-miller-con ... -20220204/
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amAnother thing I’d consider is making it R Rated. Really put something on the line, change it up.
Blech. Why? For one, that limits the audience further. If you're talking about making a massive $200m blockbuster that needs $600m to be in the black, R-rated is not the way to go. Secondly, Ghostbusters is generally thought of as a four-quadrant, family-acceptable (not quite family-friendly, but something that can skate by depending on the family, like an MCU movie) movie. I remember some people I saw commenting online (regular moviegoers) were upset that they put the one f-bomb in the 2016 movie because they felt it was unnecessary.

I know you don't like the kid-friendly direction the series has gone, but given that's the direction they've gone with the Jason Reitman/Gil Kenan movies, and with the legacy of the cartoon, I think it's safe to say that Sony will never go in the direction of an R-rated Ghostbusters.
By mrmichaelt
It seems pretty likely the next live action movie will entail Phoebe's arc about being an adult. Afterlife was her as a child discovering her legacy. FE was her as a teen searching for kinship.
By RichardLess
tylergfoster wrote: March 28th, 2024, 12:03 pm
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amYour last sentence gives people waaaay too much credit. A cash grab? Lol. People don’t care about that or low box office grosses. You do. I do. But people? No. Let’s be honest here. Most movies are cash grabs. People don’t care.
I would say "cash grab" is pretty close to the top of the list of complaints I see regular people lob at movies all the time.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amYou aren’t sure where I get the idea that Kevin Harts career is suffering? He hasn’t been in a big movie in about 5 years.
Again, I really do think given how the celebrity ecosystem is changing these days, I honestly think that his agents believe the streaming stuff he's pumping out constitutes "big movies" and that they would probably argue that he's one of the biggest stars in the world. And he does have Borderlands coming out. Does this make sense to me, personally? No. I think the streaming stuff is vaporware. But I would be really surprised if you asked Kevin Hart himself if he thought his movie career could use a jumpstart and he said yes.
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amAnd as for the leaks, I mean, they had top filmmakers like Lord/Miller and the Russo’s banging at their door.
Lord and Miller turned down Ghostbusters. The studio asked them, not them asking the studio.

https://www.cbr.com/chris-miller-and-ph ... busters-3/

https://www.firstshowing.net/2014/lord- ... busters-3/

When they talked a little more about it in 2022, their comments didn't suggest that those reports from 2014 were incorrect. They worked on it some, even developing it a bit with Ivan, but they were the ones who put it aside.

https://theplaylist.net/lord-miller-con ... -20220204/
RichardLess wrote: March 28th, 2024, 10:57 amAnother thing I’d consider is making it R Rated. Really put something on the line, change it up.
Blech. Why? For one, that limits the audience further. If you're talking about making a massive $200m blockbuster that needs $600m to be in the black, R-rated is not the way to go. Secondly, Ghostbusters is generally thought of as a four-quadrant, family-acceptable (not quite family-friendly, but something that can skate by depending on the family, like an MCU movie) movie. I remember some people I saw commenting online (regular moviegoers) were upset that they put the one f-bomb in the 2016 movie because they felt it was unnecessary.

I know you don't like the kid-friendly direction the series has gone, but given that's the direction they've gone with the Jason Reitman/Gil Kenan movies, and with the legacy of the cartoon, I think it's safe to say that Sony will never go in the direction of an R-rated Ghostbusters.
God damn it. I had a whole reply written out to this a few hours ago and when I hit submit I got signed out and lost all of it. I couldn’t be bothered to do it all again so let’s see how I do here.

I feel like I need to point out that I don’t ever think any of these things will happen. This is just “Fantasy”. If I were in charge kind of thing. I know Sony is NEVER making an R rated ghostbusters movie. But Sony is also mostly inept and have zero idea what they are doing. So they’ve got that going for them.

Ok. No offense to the people that you talk to but that’s not really something average people care about. Maybe after a trailer comes out and it looks like shit. Ok I’ll buy that. People will say that after they’ve seen some footage But not too many John and Jane Q public are going “Nope I won’t see that movie it’s a cash grab”. That’s not a thing. After they see a bad trailer? Sure. People love to complain mostly about CGI and superhero movies. I don’t know who you are talking to but “cash grab”. It’s such a generic meaningless complaint too. It means nothing. What, all the other movies were done for kindness? For the “art” of it. No. If somethings a sequel, saying it’s a cash grab is about as good of an observation as “it’s in colour”.

As for the Miller/Lord thing what I meant is that there were filmmakers ready and willing to play in the Ghostbusters sandbox. I didn’t mean they were literally banging on doors. When you are as big as those two are you don’t usually go to studios pitching existing IP unasked/uninvited. Who approach who doesn’t really matter but that we know some big talented teams were at least open to the idea. What stopped most people in that case would probably be Ivan Reitman. Reitman hadn’t had a hit in awhile, he has a reputation. Paul Feig was worried about it.

So for the R rating. Doing away with the 4 quadrant demographic bullshit is exactly what they need. A little anarchy or the appearance of it. I’d spend big on talent but the movie itself wouldn’t need to cost 200 million. You do an R Rated Ghostbusters with the cast I mentioned automatically it seems different. A little sexy. Dangerous.

The most excitement I’d seen for Star Trek in a long time was when Tarantino was going to make an R rated Star Trek movie. Suddenly people who’d never see Star Trek got open to the idea. It was no longer a 4 quadrant film. That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about.

An R rated Ghostbusters makes it lose that “ugh just another sequel” stink. It’s just different enough.

Plus if you do a Super Bowl spot? (Lol I kid I kid.)

As for Kevin Hart. A few years back I was in a conversation with a producer who was talking about why Hollywood won’t be satisfied with streaming. His point was Hollywood is an Ego driven place and nowhere is that ego stroked more than opening number 1 at the box office. Streaming has rankings but they are abstract. But when a star or a filmmaker knows people drove, maybe got a babysitter, paid cash money for tickets, just to see your movie? It’s a different thing. His point was streaming just doesn’t have that ego factor. Netflix released a brand new David Fincher movie and almost no one knew about it. Kevin Hart is basically making straight to DVD movies of the streaming era. His agents might be fine with that. But 5-8 years ago it seemed like he was The Man. He had great rapport with The Rock. His career is definitely in decline.

5-8 years ago Hart was opening number 1, getting really good numbers and even some big IP blockbusters. Now it’s a bunch of shit people don’t really watch. It shocks me that you can’t see his career is in decline. I should say, his reputation of having a good career is in decline. He’s probably still making money. So yeah those agent are happy

Anyways none of it really matters anyway. Sony is going to Sony. Which is make bad movies, ruin brands, Pat yourself on the back for it.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]