Howdy folks!
Still a newbie to the forums and the site here, though, an old-school fan from way back in the '84 days.
The long-suffering Mrs. and I have put together uniforms to go with our packs and our Ectomobile. However, as with our Ectomobile NOT being a replica of the Ecto-1, but rather an answer to the question, "What would a four-wheel drive, modern, Ectomobile suited to the Rocky Mountains look like?" I've decided to take a different tack with my uniform as well. My wife is going with the grey/blue GB2-esque uniform. I've decided to go with a two-piece uniform rather than a flight suit. And while it will have all the right recognizable pieces and parts and VERY much be a GB franchise kit, it will not be screen-accurate nor a reproduction. My proton pack also has embellishments and personalized touches to it.

I guess my question is, will this be a problem? I've participated in other groups and 'fandoms' in the past, and some have pretty strong feelings and even published rules and guidelines as to the authenticity and uniformity of costumes, props, etc. Mostly I just still want to be able to have fun with my fellow ghostheads and not be the source of 'problems'.
Thoughts?
It shouldn't be a problem at all...

The Ghostbusters fandom isn't like the 501st or anything like that, it's down to individual groups/clubs (or "franchises") as to how strict they want to be on screen-accuracy. That's how you can end up with multiple franchises in the same city, they have different guidelines. Some are obsessed with accuracy, others are more about having fun (and/or raising money for charity). But overall as a fandom there are no set rules, GB is a comedy after all.
Some franchises welcome everyone except for at certain events where they require more screen-accurate costumes/props, but even then they'll probably be quite happy to have more hands on deck even if your costume isn't accurate. Or maybe all they'll ask is that you add their official patch to your costume. Anything's possible!

You'll find that 99% of the time your custom builds will be met with enthusiasm from the community, here's some recent examples you might enjoy looking at:
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11599
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4985672

Please share anything you build! You might inspire others :)
deadderek liked this
prodestrian wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:11 pm It shouldn't be a problem at all...

The Ghostbusters fandom isn't like the 501st or anything like that, it's down to individual groups/clubs (or "franchises") as to how strict they want to be on screen-accuracy. That's how you can end up with multiple franchises in the same city, they have different guidelines. Some are obsessed with accuracy, others are more about having fun (and/or raising money for charity). But overall as a fandom there are no set rules, GB is a comedy after all.
Some franchises welcome everyone except for at certain events where they require more screen-accurate costumes/props, but even then they'll probably be quite happy to have more hands on deck even if your costume isn't accurate. Or maybe all they'll ask is that you add their official patch to your costume. Anything's possible!

You'll find that 99% of the time your custom builds will be met with enthusiasm from the community, here's some recent examples you might enjoy looking at:
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11599
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4985672

Please share anything you build! You might inspire others :)
Thanks so very much for your thoughts and reply. Right now it's just the uniform and the Ectomobile (which we've dubbed the Ecto-4). The roof rack is really the biggest departure. I wanted something detachable that would utilize the existing roof rack so it had to be smaller and more compact which somewhat jives with tech getting smaller and more compact as it evolves.
I'm really digging your Ecto build. I'm working on a "non-canon" one myself. I have a Haslab Pack, another 3D printed one, and my uniform is a Spirit XL, because I currently can't fit into my Military L. :-P I'm out to have fun, and make things. If someone doesn't like what I do, that's on them, not me.

As far as people that will shit on Fandoms - who cares. If they can't appreciate your enthusiasm for something, you're better off without them.

The only real strict groups I've seen were ones that were focused on Screen-Accuracy - that was their goal, and that was their mission. Most folks were still cool as long as you were doing your due diligence, and striving for that same goal. The ones who were still jerks, well, it's real easy to click "ignore" ;-)
rolandblais wrote: September 14th, 2023, 6:00 pm I'm really digging your Ecto build. I'm working on a "non-canon" one myself. I have a Haslab Pack, another 3D printed one, and my uniform is a Spirit XL, because I currently can't fit into my Military L. :-P I'm out to have fun, and make things. If someone doesn't like what I do, that's on them, not me.

As far as people that will shit on Fandoms - who cares. If they can't appreciate your enthusiasm for something, you're better off without them.

The only real strict groups I've seen were ones that were focused on Screen-Accuracy - that was their goal, and that was their mission. Most folks were still cool as long as you were doing your due diligence, and striving for that same goal. The ones who were still jerks, well, it's real easy to click "ignore" ;-)
Thanks much! It’s been a really fun build so far. Amusingly enough, my wife and I were driving to meet friends this evening and stopped at a stop sign and what pulled up right next to us in the next lane? Another custom Ectomobile!! Out of the blue!! We are everywhere!

I must say, the encouragement on this site has been fantastic! It’s a breath of fresh air!
rolandblais liked this

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]