By tobycj
One time wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:00 pm All Afterlife packs (Phoebe / Spengler and the other OGB's) were continuations of GB2. See theghostbustersreferencelibrary.com. Ribbons cables and the rest.

This is why the radeon crank knob is black.
The ribbon cable on the Phoebe pack got swapped out for GB1 ribbon cables before, or during, filming, they used Fincher Technologies ribbon cables. The behind the scenes photos of the Phoebe packs were before they were changed. They also used GB1 ribbon cables on the gunner seat and temple sentry packs,
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 7:49 pm Right on that makes perfect sense - I still have that same question for the GBII packs, I wonder why they changed the gray knob? I'll have to check out GBII more closely to check some screen grabs - truthfully mine is more representative of that with the more wear from 5 years of busting.
It's possible/likely that those changes were made as they also had the semi-hero packs to fit out for GB2 and couldn't easily get some of the parts anymore, like the ribbon cables, so the crank knobs may have fallen into that category too. Easier to just buy new black ones for all the packs than rummage about trying to find grey ones. I'd highly recommend checking out The Ghostbusters Reference Library if you want great reference material :)
gamera1968, oidoglr liked this
By gamera1968
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:47 pm
gamera1968 wrote: January 17th, 2023, 9:19 pm
Thank you for confirming what I feared the most in regards to the "copper wires" around the Clippard valve.

I think a heat gun (or a hair dryer) set to low would take those out quicker without leaving such a mess behind. :sigh:
It seems like I'll have to look for some sort of plastic filler or putty for the holes and then give the entire pack a few coats of flat black Rustoleum 2X (which I am planning on doing, anyway)

I'm also removing that "ribbon cable" and replacing it with the real deal so I can convert the pack closer to an '84.
Sorry that you had to be the one to go through all of that for everyone else's sake who planned on doing the same.
Ah it was inevitable I'd have to do some things, but realistically they made it so easy in other ways that it's just so frustrating the darn copper wire harness area couldn't just be lifted off and removed easily. I already tried the hairdryer method and it was even worse - it made the stuff so gummy that it wanted to rip off and stretch and make it even harder. I wouldn't recommend it - it was pain to get out though, I'll tell you that! I would love to try to treat this ribbon cable to some sort of brightener because the way they hooked it onto the end that goes to the cyclotron has a spring loaded mechanism. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to break that plastic open and fitting a new big ribbon cable in there. Rustoleum is the trick eh? Is it like primer or black?

RonMan32 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:46 am
In fairness to hasbro I don't think they mislead anyone in regards to the difficulty that would be required converting the pack to 1984. While I agree it would have been nice if more of an effort was taken to make the clippard valve wires removable in a sort of accessory sort of way, as a person who was always going to keep his pack stock (because I love what the afterlife prop team did with the design) I really think they've gone above and beyond with encouraging modification by including alice frame mounting hardware, pristine stickers, easy to remove (fake) wires (save for the copper ones) and that hidden little extra switch. Frankly if you bought the thing with the full intention to completely convert it to a 1984 pack you should have been ready for the large task ahead of you instead of expecting Hasbro to go even FARTHER than they already did. It's not a "customize your own proton pack kit". It's a ghostbusters afterlife prop replica where they graciously took steps to make converting it to a 1984 pack as they expected people to do as painless as was reasonably possible without compromising the product out of the box.

Specifically to your claim that they were going to make all the afterlife stuff removable. I don't believe they said that. In fact none of the "afterlife stuff" is removeable without in some capacity breaking/disassembling the pack. But what they did say is what I would define as a level of modification that is effectively "breaking" disassembling and heavily modifying the pack is something they want to encourage and they designed it in such a way that fans have options. In regards to easy changes that are intended ways to use the product all they included were pristine stickers and a 1984 light and sounds mode. They always expected and made it clear that the rest of the changes for an '84 pack were going to be done by cosplayers with disassembly, heavy painting, glue, all of that garbage.

All of that said I'm sure filling in those cavities will be easy enough and I wish you luck with your conversion. As previously mentioned I'm very happy with the Afterlife design (in terms of cool factor I actually prefer it over the originals but the originals still have that classic charm to them that I adore) and will be keeping mine stock. But I cannot wait to see the super cool paint jobs and upgrades to get that original proton pack look.
I can respect where you are coming from, but I distinctly remember one of the designers openly confirming that all the Afterlife parts/mods would be removable. I had no expectation of the wear being anything different from the Afterlife prop - I fully comprehend this was advertised as such a pack and that Sony has some crazy aversion to everything 84' while promoting the new movie, but they DID go beyond to make it 84 compatible to a point. I mean, why go through all the trouble of actually designing an 84' light program, the fresh sticker sheet, ALICE hardware and pre-mounted screw cavities and the fact that all the cables OTHER than the copper cluster are totally and easily removable? THAT is my frustration - they actually made it HARDER on themselves and the sculptors by recessing those areas of the plastic to plug the copper into AKA more tooling for that small area when it could have been a simple single or double plug and done with it. Nothing else has to be even close to "broken" on this thing - it's all super easy to remove.

I can confirm for everyone keeping the pack stock as-is that those copper afterlife wires are pretty easy to tear off, so be careful not to catch them on anything. The other cables are designed to be popped off with a tug and wouldn't ever get ruined, but once the copper ones are severed, there's not much one can do outside of glue or melting/fusing them back together. It's ironically both the weakest piece and the strongest (at the base, which I can thoroughly attest haha). It is fully glued in.

One time wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:41 pm I feel you but I have to disagree on some parts of your post.

Look at any Proton Pack made by a fan.

They are all a different type of black. Some are shiny some are matte. Some are smooth, some are not. It's all over the place.

Hasbro actually took hundreds of reflectivity images to get the finish perfect.

I love the finish on this pack. It is not black. It is satin anthracite with a slight metallic flake. Like all the screen used versions we saw. I think it is awesome.

But yeah, converting to pure 1984 is going to be tough. I'd wait it out until some stuff becoes available on Etsy.
See my eyes see it differently - even the Afterlife pack has a jet black underneath all the tarnish and this looks more gray than jet black. I was also curious why the volume control piece wasn't painted gray? It was gray in the 84' film and in the Spengler pack it looks like every other black part with silver wear one it. Wouldn't it still be gray after all these years? Maybe the prop guys missed that part initially on their version and Hasbro just followed suit. Not a huge deal. I just pray they keep the brand long enough to make an 84 Wand that will talk to this thing and send sounds through the pack.
I'll be using Rustoleum 2X Flat Black - it's a primer and paint in one that works great (and bonds well) on all plastics.
I've used it on my first of 2 Spengler neutrona wands and it's never given me any issues.

Also, no heat on the "copper" wires. Got it.

Adam Savage had removed the stock "ribbon cable" on his HasLab pack, and replaced it with a GB 1 ribbon cable.
It was a bit work, but looked great.

Thanks again for all of your hard work along with some tips and tricks. However, I'll be repainting the entire pack as previously mentioned so it'll match the color of my homemade pack. (circa 2015)

I'll post pics of before and after sometime next week, as I plan on converting my pack over this coming weekend.
By RonMan32
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:47 pm I can respect where you are coming from, but I distinctly remember one of the designers openly confirming that all the Afterlife parts/mods would be removable. I had no expectation of the wear being anything different from the Afterlife prop - I fully comprehend this was advertised as such a pack and that Sony has some crazy aversion to everything 84' while promoting the new movie, but they DID go beyond to make it 84 compatible to a point. I mean, why go through all the trouble of actually designing an 84' light program, the fresh sticker sheet, ALICE hardware and pre-mounted screw cavities and the fact that all the cables OTHER than the copper cluster are totally and easily removable? THAT is my frustration - they actually made it HARDER on themselves and the sculptors by recessing those areas of the plastic to plug the copper into AKA more tooling for that small area when it could have been a simple single or double plug and done with it. Nothing else has to be even close to "broken" on this thing - it's all super easy to remove.

I can confirm for everyone keeping the pack stock as-is that those copper afterlife wires are pretty easy to tear off, so be careful not to catch them on anything. The other cables are designed to be popped off with a tug and wouldn't ever get ruined, but once the copper ones are severed, there's not much one can do outside of glue or melting/fusing them back together. It's ironically both the weakest piece and the strongest (at the base, which I can thoroughly attest haha). It is fully glued in.
I don't recall claims about afterlife stuff being removable but I'm not going to call you a liar. Assuming such lies were told I'm sorry you were mislead.

I don't think Sony or Hasbro have an "aversion" to the classic packs. I could see a full classic '84 pack being released using this one as a base in the future for about $500 including an accurate wand. I won't hold my breath but due to the sheer amount of units moved with this one I think they're aware of the market for something like that. Especially closer to the release of the next film.

All in all I agree with you that the copper wires should have been designed in such way that removing them wouldn't have been such an ugly pain. I was just skeptical that they ever made any promise that such a thing could have been expected from them, rather than it being more of a "would have been nice if they did" kind of situation.

I know you said you aren't much of a modder but I'd urge you to go all the way with making it an '84 pack. Get that black paint, new ribbon cable, so on. If not I hope your filling of the gaps left behind from your BARBARIC removal of the wires (I kid, I'm sure it's just a pain and no one could have done better) goes well.
One time, ProtonPack83 liked this
By edwardl
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:27 pmJust got mine today and I'm extremely disappointed that Hasbro failed to go on their word that the Afterlife stuff would be removable. I can't stand the hideous sight of those mangled copper wires sprouting around the Clippard module. I promptly pulled them off, only to experience a ridiculous amount of resistance. Those suckers are not only glued, but molded into a recessed mold in the circle itself. This was beyond frustrating and took me the better part of an hour just to get out. I seriously used needle nose pliers for this and it was just ripping it in pieces. I had to resort to using an awl just to get under the rubber and try to extract it. It looks like crap, but less crap than with the actually wires on. Getting the nylon yellow loom off the rubber wire wasn't a problem, and the ribbon cable is close enough for now for me, though I wonder if there is any chemical "reversing" that could be done and kind of bleach it back to brighter white again? I'm no customizer, so aside from putting all the 84 decals on and removing the copper Afterlife wires, I don't have too much savvy for anything else. I even opened the motherboard up and looked inside to see if I could get at the rubber from the backside to no avail.

Use a Magic Eraser soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol and it'll clean up the ribbon cable real nice
ProtonPack83 liked this
By edwardl
RonMan32 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:22 pm
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:47 pm I can respect where you are coming from, but I distinctly remember one of the designers openly confirming that all the Afterlife parts/mods would be removable
In adam savages original video "Adam Savage Inspects Hasbro's Ghostbusters Proton Pack!" he points at the copper wires and asks if they're removable. The hasbro guy doesn't say yes, but he says "it's a separate piece" and you can see on camera where the final pack differs from the prototype, is the copper wires were all attached to a black plastic disc and that was separated from the body of the pack, so it looks like originaly they were a lot easier to remove.
ProtonPack83 liked this
By One time
edwardl wrote: January 19th, 2023, 3:39 pm
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:27 pmJust got mine today and I'm extremely disappointed that Hasbro failed to go on their word that the Afterlife stuff would be removable. I can't stand the hideous sight of those mangled copper wires sprouting around the Clippard module. I promptly pulled them off, only to experience a ridiculous amount of resistance. Those suckers are not only glued, but molded into a recessed mold in the circle itself. This was beyond frustrating and took me the better part of an hour just to get out. I seriously used needle nose pliers for this and it was just ripping it in pieces. I had to resort to using an awl just to get under the rubber and try to extract it. It looks like crap, but less crap than with the actually wires on. Getting the nylon yellow loom off the rubber wire wasn't a problem, and the ribbon cable is close enough for now for me, though I wonder if there is any chemical "reversing" that could be done and kind of bleach it back to brighter white again? I'm no customizer, so aside from putting all the 84 decals on and removing the copper Afterlife wires, I don't have too much savvy for anything else. I even opened the motherboard up and looked inside to see if I could get at the rubber from the backside to no avail.

Use a Magic Eraser soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol and it'll clean up the ribbon cable real nice
Really? I hope so.

The alcohol type you mention doesn't work on the weathering of the pack. That weathering seems to be almost bonded with the pack. The alcohol mentioned does however work on the Hasbro wand weathering, it just melts off.

I'd be surprised if it works on the pack weathering. Did anyone actually try this yet?
By edwardl
One time wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Really? I hope so.

The alcohol type you mention doesn't work on the weathering of the pack. That weathering seems to be almost bonded with the pack. The alcohol mentioned does however work on the Hasbro wand weathering, it just melts off.

I'd be surprised if it works on the pack weathering. Did anyone actually try this yet?
The magic eraser will take off the weathering but it will also take off the finish on the pack. It feels like they did the weathering then coated it with a sealant after. You can see in my image right under the clippard valve where I tried to remove the weathering and it took the coat with it. You can also see how the ribbon cable cleaned up.

By Styrofoam_Guy
I also recall Adam asking if the copper wires could be removed and no definite answer given. I think it was implied that they would be easily removable. For sure the Hasbro person could not say on record.

The recessed area for the copper wires makes no sense as it would be more costly than a flat surface as someone said earlier.

It makes me wonder if someone higher up stepped in and made that decision.

It does mean more work for those of us who want to make a 1984 version.
ProtonPack83 liked this
By One time
edwardl wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:44 pm
One time wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Really? I hope so.

The magic eraser will take off the weathering but it will also take off the finish on the pack. It feels like they did the weathering then coated it with a sealant after. You can see in my image right under the clippard valve where I tried to remove the weathering and it took the coat with it. You can also see how the ribbon cable cleaned up.

Just Magic Eraser?
By TobinsGuide
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:42 pm I also recall Adam asking if the copper wires could be removed and no definite answer given. I think it was implied that they would be easily removable. For sure the Hasbro person could not say on record.

The recessed area for the copper wires makes no sense as it would be more costly than a flat surface as someone said earlier.

It makes me wonder if someone higher up stepped in and made that decision.

It does mean more work for those of us who want to make a 1984 version.
There is pretty heavy speculation that Hasbro's license might explicitly omit 84 packs.

ANOVOS is still in business (though no longer dealing with the public, LOL!) and has a contract predating Hasbro's that's supposedly still in effect. They mostly do backdoor stuff through a subsidiary of NECA.

ANOVOS might have had a deal that nobody else can make assembled replica GB1 or GB2 gear.

Spirit Halloween probably gets around this by being costume props? Or not to scale?

I found it weird that Hasbro never released a PKE in black, even as a kids toy.

There was some kind of issue with the remote control trap. From what I understand, Hasbro made at least a small run of them and couldn't sell them. They went to employees, some of whom sold theirs. It sounds like a legal/licensing issue. Could it be because the remote control was a modified real product from a toy company?

I'm honestly not sure Hasbro has the rights that Mattel did. It's weird not to do any movie Slimer merch. Or GB2 redecos of action figures. Or Paul Rudd when they made figures with his likeness for Ant Man 2.

Is it possible that they got some kind of discount by not licensing GB2 or ATC? I don't know. Something feels weird about their Ghostbusters arrangement to me.

I guess we'll see in about 10 months if they have GB4 toys out. That said, GB4 is moving awfully quick and toylines have to be planned over a year in advance whereas GB4 films in March and releases in December. Then again, that scenario is why a lot of Hasbro toys look like prototypes or concept art rather than the finished movie in a lot of cases.
By Chicken, He Clucked
Do you there’s any worth in leaving this sealed or will it retain value even it opened and used?

Been staring at a giant box in my kitchen for two weeks now…
By gamera1968
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:09 am Do you there’s any worth in leaving this sealed or will it retain value even it opened and used?

My Haslab pack arrives today, and I'll be cracking it open right away. I plan on doing heavy mods to it, including a complete repaint to flat black, plus I'm not a fan of the superfluous Afterlife additions. I have no intention of selling mine so now I have two packs. :D
ProtonPack83 liked this
By oidoglr
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:09 am Do you there’s any worth in leaving this sealed or will it retain value even it opened and used?

I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on something to just take up that much space inside a box in the hopes that it'll be valuable someday. Like best case scenario you hold onto this giant box somewhere and after resisting the temptation to enjoy it for years, you get a couple hundred dollars more than if you had been able to have fun with it?

Look, even if these things appreciate in value in the next 5-10 years to 3-4x retail...you or I could be gone by then, and never had the opportunity to experience it. Take good care of it, hang onto the packaging in storage, and enjoy it.
ProtonPack83 liked this
By One time

You are a Ghostbusters fan. Think about it. Movie packs had lights and no sound, some had vibrations in the wand (in Afterlife). The workbench pack in Afterlife had a removeable cyclotron with detailing inside but the pack had no electronics or lights.

This Hasbro pack is the only pack on the planet with, lights, sounds, detailed cyclotron chamber, vibrations in the pack synched with the wand vibrations, etc. I know of no fan built pack that has all of this, anywhere. You owe it to yourself to open it up and tinker with it. :)
gamera1968 liked this
By prodestrian
One time wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:15 pmI know of no fan built pack that has all of this, anywhere.
TacoBelli.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdbNJeZg ... Q2MjdiOTE=
(see rest of his Instagram for more videos of other features). Has smoke effects but I can't recall if he also added rumble motors, probably not in the pack because the speaker would add plenty of vibration already (I personally think Hasbro adding a rumble motor to the pack was a bit pointless, that's just my opinion though).

All the digital files are available for anyone who wants to 3D print their own. Some have already done it and their builds look just as amazing, same features too.
tobycj liked this
By RealGhostbusterJay
I also want to remove a lot of the afterlife aspects such as the copper wires, please by all means show us what you do to fill the holes and paint as I'm sure a few of us want to do the same.
ProtonPack83 liked this
By Chicken, He Clucked
One time wrote: You are a Ghostbusters fan. Think about it. Movie packs had lights and no sound, some had vibrations in the wand (in Afterlife). The workbench pack in Afterlife had a removeable cyclotron with detailing inside but the pack had no electronics or lights.

This Hasbro pack is the only pack on the planet with, lights, sounds, detailed cyclotron chamber, vibrations in the pack synched with the wand vibrations, etc. I know of no fan built pack that has all of this, anywhere. You owe it to yourself to open it up and tinker with it. :)
Having opened it finally… Yeah. Wow. No way in hell I would ever sell this. Insane we got all this for the price.
gamera1968 liked this
By Bison256
TobinsGuide wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:28 am There was some kind of issue with the remote control trap. From what I understand, Hasbro made at least a small run of them and couldn't sell them. They went to employees, some of whom sold theirs. It sounds like a legal/licensing issue. Could it be because the remote control was a modified real product from a toy company?
Don't forget the ghost in the toy remote control trap look like a dildo. Everyone was giggling about that when they showed it. It could have been cancelled for that.
By ProtonPack83

That's awesome! If you end up doing it first, I'd love to see the result, but thank you kindly for your suggestion.
By ProtonPack83
RonMan32 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:22 pm
ProtonPack83 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:47 pm I can respect where you are coming from, but I distinctly remember one of the designers openly confirming that all the Afterlife parts/mods would be removable. I had no expectation of the wear being anything different from the Afterlife prop - I fully comprehend this was advertised as such a pack and that Sony has some crazy aversion to everything 84' while promoting the new movie, but they DID go beyond to make it 84 compatible to a point. I mean, why go through all the trouble of actually designing an 84' light program, the fresh sticker sheet, ALICE hardware and pre-mounted screw cavities and the fact that all the cables OTHER than the copper cluster are totally and easily removable? THAT is my frustration - they actually made it HARDER on themselves and the sculptors by recessing those areas of the plastic to plug the copper into AKA more tooling for that small area when it could have been a simple single or double plug and done with it. Nothing else has to be even close to "broken" on this thing - it's all super easy to remove.

I don't recall claims about afterlife stuff being removable but I'm not going to call you a liar. Assuming such lies were told I'm sorry you were mislead.

I don't think Sony or Hasbro have an "aversion" to the classic packs. I could see a full classic '84 pack being released using this one as a base in the future for about $500 including an accurate wand. I won't hold my breath but due to the sheer amount of units moved with this one I think they're aware of the market for something like that. Especially closer to the release of the next film.

All in all I agree with you that the copper wires should have been designed in such way that removing them wouldn't have been such an ugly pain. I was just skeptical that they ever made any promise that such a thing could have been expected from them, rather than it being more of a "would have been nice if they did" kind of situation.

I know you said you aren't much of a modder but I'd urge you to go all the way with making it an '84 pack. Get that black paint, new ribbon cable, so on. If not I hope your filling of the gaps left behind from your BARBARIC removal of the wires (I kid, I'm sure it's just a pain and no one could have done better) goes well.
HAHA - it truly was barbaric in every sense of the word. I appreciate the encouragement - I don't think I'd paint it, but I will probably try to clean up the ribbon cable and make it whiter or brighter. This is all hinging on the hope that Hasbro will actually make an 84' wand, which seems like such a no brainer opportunity for them. They can easily design it now to send sounds out of the pack and have a high level of interactivity. That would really complete this for me - I feel like I don't want to go much further in case they never get to that. I have the 84 Wand from Matty Collector which I absolutely love, but it's currently hooked into a cheaper Spirit Pack that I did mod electronically and some cosmetics thanks to Spongeface who made it super easy. I even soldered a circuit board piece that I had accidentally broken off, so I guess I modded more than I thought. I even installed my own speaker in that one from an old intercom that works great - I'm just not sure I want to go full on with this knowing that it's such a perfect replica already and I don't want to do anything irreversible (other than my coper cable butchery). I will definitely be filling those holes and trying to match paint to the rest of the pack to smooth out that area.
RonMan32 liked this
By DrMadKatz
I came across a group in facebook today :
haslabprotonpackmodders
There is a discussion where someone is also doing a full 84 conversion.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/haslabp ... 042886122/

At one point in the discussion, there is a post where they stated they used a 3d printed file to make a cover , to coverup the removed 'copper wires' .

Dominic Cousens - Man how'd you get that clippard section so clean?
Alan Ball - it's a 3d printed part I made to go on top of it

Maybe it can be of help to you.
ProtonPack83 liked this
By CT0760
TobinsGuide wrote: January 16th, 2023, 3:33 pm
I'm looking at making a replacement cable clamp for 84 cable so you don't need to disassemble the stock clamp although it's way down my list of priorities, honestly.
Any update on that?

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]