Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
Adults, many of whom that still fondly remember the 1984 classic, only partially embraced​ Paul Feig's all-female Ghostbusters reboot, but the kids sure did!

At Nickelodeon’s 2017 Kids’ Choice Awards on Saturday night, the divisive film came away with a trio of orange blimps. The film itself won Favorite Movie over Rogue One and Marvels yearly outings, Chris Hemsworth's portrayal of Kevin, the Ghostbusters' attractive, dim-witted receptionist, earned him Favorite Movie Actor. And Melissa McCarthy won Favorite Movie Actress for playing the passionate and wonton-obsessed Abby Yates.

Looks like we will be getting some fresh recruits!
Sav C, JurorNo.2, Troy liked this
By timeware
Do we know how the categories are set up for Choice Awards?

Not trying to rain on the parade here but this is a show produced by Hollywood. How many movies were the kids offered, how did they tally the vote and how were the votes counted?

They had voting online, does anyone know if there was an organized social media effort to flood the website with non child votes? Questions you have to ask!
timeware wrote:does anyone know if there was an organized social media effort to flood the website?
Kinda like "Remember to down vote the trailer!" ;)
Scuba Steve wrote:kids routinely make terrible decisions.
Like embracing Ghostbusters (1984) even when it clearly wasn't made for them? ;)
Sav C, Rufus Q liked this
All I have to say is this:
But the kids love us.:mrgreen:
I said from the beginning, this is what the detractors were truly worried about -- that the new generation would enjoy this movie. Well guys, the franchises survived fans embracing GBII (myself included), it will survive fans embracing ATC. :)
By timeware
Look at the wikipedia page. There have been cases documented where adults either vote online or coerce their kids into voting what they want to vote for. People create multiple online accounts to do it. I don't care if kids like ATC on their own. Parents have done this before.

How do you trust voting tally's in Pizza Hut Restaurants when the manager of the store can change votes at their leisure?
I'd say if there was any organizing (not at all against the rules, btw), it would have been mainly from older teens, which still counts. And whether it's adults or kids, it's still pretty amazing that ATC beat both Avengers and Star Wars. Those should have easily overwhelmed multiple categories. ATC was a movie "nobody liked" after all. ;)
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote:Timeware, if it's any peace of mind, Pricewaterhouse probably got it wrong.
You win the board for the day! :crunch:
Alphagaia liked this
Timeware, at this point, you have crossed over into raining on parades. Just so you know. It's OK though, I brought plenty of umbrellas. ;)

And yes, it is run by Hollywood. So why didn't Civil War or Star Wars dominate? They are not indie films. 8)
Alphagaia, Sav C, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
Usually super hero and sci fi movies are scoffed over for awards.

Like I said I don't care if the kids genuinely liked the movie.

Remember when I cautioned about the rotten tomatoes 75% rating within the first week of the lifting of the embargo? That's what i'm doing here. At least this time the regular movie going public has had a chance to see the film.

If you want to consider there was a massive click campaign to support the movie keep that in mind as well. Its easy to rally people through social media now.
We do all remember your fondness for conspiracy theories. Especially when it makes ATC look bad, even though you are always quick to insist you personally liked it. You just always have trouble accepting anyone else would. ;)
Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
Not a conspiracy theory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelode ... ice_Awards
Evidence that non kids vote in a kids choice awards. I'm just saying look at all angles before you count the victory. Im quick to insist I liked the movie because I did.
You are putting words in my mouth by saying I cant accept the fact anybody liked it. I just said twice I don't care if kids genuinely liked the film. You damn well know people have ulterior motives to make this movie more successful then it was.
555-2368 liked this
On the absolute contrary, there's been a campaign to rain on any parade this movie ever gets. We can't even enjoy a freakin kid's award without a "Yes, but..." Lol
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
I didn't miss out on the 80s experience, and I liked Good Burger. Heck, even my Dad liked Good Burger, lol. :)
The idea that a lot of children were introduced to GB through GB16 is a nice one. Maybe it will encourage them to see *good* GB shows like GB84 and the animated series, if they aren't too outdated to kids by now.

I question HOW enough children saw GB16 to win this kind of award though. This year was all about Dory, Zootopia, and Captain America in the movie theater for kids. And various other kids shows like Pets and Kung Fu Panda topped off the list of movies to take kids to see. GB16 flopped in the theaters, and has a lackluster release of BluRays and other merchandise. Remember the GB16 merch "mistakenly" put on clearance before the movie even came out? That movie just did not sell well to kids. So again, I question how enough kids saw GB16 to vote for it.

So yeah, this looks more like adults voting this movie in. Considering how bad a movie it was, and how it flopped, it's kinda sad at this point, really.
By Sav C
Well I wasn't around in the 80s, so I suppose that means I missed out on the 80s experience. Also I have no clue what Good Burger is. Off to Google Search!

Edit: Oh cool, Kenan Thompson's in it! Didn't realize it was a movie when I went to search it though, thought it was an actually burger chain or something.
I doubt enough adults​ find the Nickelodeon Awards impact full enough to vote via different phones and Nick accounts and make a splash in 3 different categories, but ehhh, we all see what we want to see. I for one did not even know this was a thing. (My kid Tobin is way too young for this, though he grins whenever I put some GB(ATC) music on).

I'm a bit tired of this debate still continuing though, guys. If I post a positive piece on the movie only to see the same handful of detractors still trying to bring it down I wish those persons just moved on.
It's been months of this pointless arguments of opinions. You don't like the movie and question any awards it gets or Razzy it did not.

Let us, and the kids, have our fun and respect the other side of the fanbase by letting it go and embrace the new recruits!
JurorNo.2, Kingpin liked this
I don't think any "theories" need even be brought to this discussion: "Fuller House" won for "best family TV show." And "Best Global Musical Star" award went to "Little Mix" (whoever that is). Kevin Hart got slimed for unknown reasons as well as John Cena, Oh, look, Chris Pratt got slimed too. Here were the kids' reactions:

Seriously, that's a real still from him getting slimed.

In fact, I went to the website because I didn't even watch the show, and there wasn't any "ghostbusters" mentions at all in the headlines. Maybe in a sub video? I dunno.

Bottom line is that politics and money plays a big part in telling people what is enjoyable and what isn't. We won't hear anything from GB16 in a LOOOOOOOONG time.

BTW, evidently this needs to be said again: The original "Ghosbusters" was NOT around when the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards were even brought up. In fact, you can probably pay tribute to '84 GB for bringing slime into the Nickelodeon equation. Please, stop comparing the original masterpiece to the reboot/remake. It's not going to work. At all. Different time periods, different ideas, different routes, different agendas.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on March 13th, 2017, 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
By timeware
To get back at the down voting for the trailer, I wouldn't put it past people.
The kids choice awards have been around since 1988, adults have been voting in these things for a long time. It would be nice to see some polling data.

Not trying to take the win away from the kids. You have to ask yourself if the kids votes really counted here or if they were just sad little mommy basement living monkeys clicking on their computer screens. Im all for new recruits and not everyone who has a question about how this was set up is a detractor, and name calling is a pretty lame defense Alpha.
timeware wrote:To get back at the down voting for the trailer, I wouldn't put it past people.
The kids choice awards have been around since 1988, adults have been voting in these things for a long time. It would be nice to see some polling data.

Not trying to take the win away from the kids. You have to ask yourself if the kids votes really counted here or if they were just sad little mommy basement living monkeys clicking on their computer screens. Im all for new recruits and not everyone who has a question about how this was set up is a detractor, and name calling is a pretty lame defense Alpha.
It's very similar to "The People's Choice Awards." You can vote infinite times on the website, McCarthy won "best comedic actress" but it wasn't for GB16 (even though they did show clips from the movie). It's all about politics unfortunately (thanks Trump, douche).

Can we please get a "Ghostbusters best remake/reboot participation award!" thread? Thank you in advance.
Back to reality, I'm really glad Melissa won again for Ghostbusters. It was shrewed of Murray to recommend her for ATC. And I like Chris Hemsworth but I didn't think anyone could beat Ironman, so double win there! :) I'm also pretty impressed that Dory won Favorite Squad. For that and Ghostbusters to win big over Civil War and Star Wars, Disney has got to be wondering if what they're doing with these action franchises is no longer entirely fresh. I'm just glad Dory is also Disney since I'm a stock holder. :mrgreen:

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]