So our group (Northeast Ohio Ghostbusters) has a few folks in the 501st Legion as well (Star Wars stormtrooper cos-play).

I really like how its an international organization that still has local franchises but they all work in tandem and are in essence, apart of the same group.

My question is, why haven't GB franchises coalesced into some kind national/international organization? I think having all of our groups be affiliated helps all those involved.

Thoughts?
SPJ liked this
SONY has no bounds. They aren't to be trifled with regardless. I wouldn't want to be labeled as a "Ghostbusters Terrorist"; maybe a "Ghostbusters Extremist" (sounds way better).
Anyway, "Who You Gonna Call?" at SONY?
Well, I don't think they'd label us "terrorists" (worst thing they do is send a C&D letter) - but I was thinking of contacting every franchise (at least in the US) and asking if they're on board. Those that are would send a nicely worded letter to SONY offering our assistance.
SPJ liked this
Noghost5 wrote:It worked with the 501st and LucasFilms/Disney - why wouldn't it work here?
You'll never know until you try. It either will or it won't.
I recently cut ties with 4 different costuming clubs. It was so stressful to deal with politics and egos and organizing / running events. Responsibilities were often split among 3 of us in a group but it always fell to me to do everything, but that didn't stop everyone from complaining when it didn't go their way.

Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me ill.

Good luck on this, though. I hope you can pull it off.
Have you guys looked at the costume requirements for the 501st? They are super strict, which I am fine with, but if something like this was put in place for GB more than half the GB's I see at conventions wouldn't make it in. I'm not taking shots, I'm just calling it like I see it. I strive to make the most accurate packs, suits, and other props that I can, some people can't afford it and that's fine. This leads to a lot of hurt feelings and ill will in my opinion. If you guys pull it off I will not join.
LandoSystem wrote:Not just that but some of us prefer custom or modified suits and gear.
I respect and admire people with highly accurate suits but I don't WANT to look like everyone else.
Another great point. I have nothing against custom stuff it just wouldn't be accepted in a "501st" style situation. The only pack I currently own couldn't fit into those kinds of rules.
see, 'm not big on the requirements of the 501st either. I enjoy the different style packs from screen accurate equipment to stuff from RGB and EGB. My requirements (if i was king haha) would be just to have a jumpsuit and no ghost patch (movie or franchise) on said jumpsuit. I'm just thinking an organization that coordinates groups to do some big/great thing might not be bad.
Noghost5 wrote:see, 'm not big on the requirements of the 501st either. I enjoy the different style packs from screen accurate equipment to stuff from RGB and EGB. My requirements (if i was king haha) would be just to have a jumpsuit and no ghost patch (movie or franchise) on said jumpsuit. I'm just thinking an organization that coordinates groups to do some big/great thing might not be bad.
Founder of the Georgia Ghostbusters (operating almost 15 years now) and member of the Ocmulgee Squad of the Georgia Garrison 501st for 10 here...

This is a discussion that has taken place on these boards in the past and really when you think about it, as far as functionality most franchises work like the 501st anyway. The 501st has Garrisons for each state and squads that are the subsection of those. For groups like the Georgia Ghostbusters, we operate statewide like a Garrison and a Squad...then there are states like Florida with a bunch of separate franchises that occasionally work together...a better example of the squads.

So we operate similar to the 501st, what else are we missing?

Costuming guidelines, a main message board, a large convention like Celebration 5 that brings the groups together, semi-approval from the studio...

Now lets throw the costume guidelines out the window. Some want them, some don't, lets just agree to have the franchises themselves decide that.

Message Board- You are on it...right now.

Large Convention- PKE Surge at DragonCon brings in over 100 GB fans to Atlanta annually with games, raffles, a dinner, and now panels and con involvement....there are also other GB gatherings popping up like Mass Hysteria in Alabama.

Semi-Approval from the Studio- We pretty much have this as well. Sony sent PKE Surge Blu-Rays to give away this past year. I can't speak for every Franchise, but the Georgia logo was added to flyers for the Krispy Kreme Doughnut unveil in Atl and KK got Sony to approve the use of our logo for the event....Not to mention participation and encouragement from Dan Aykroyd who owns a share of the rights to the films. Add to that the involvement of the IDW folks in the community, putting fans on the covers of or in the comics, using fan made custom pack designs, etc. Even the videogame had a nod to a fanfilm in it! It is safe to say they know we are here and they are more than ok with it.

So really I don't know what else you'd want to add.
Maybe if every franchise had the ability to set and enforce their own costume requirements (or lack thereof).
The "worldwide club" side would be simply used to:
- help establish franchises
- organize events
- help settle disputes
- act as liaison to Sony

It would be something very similar to what we have now in the forums. Just with more structure and organization.

I don't think it's a bad idea and I wish you luck. I've had my fill of costuming clubs and wont be participating.
I don't think a little more organization and event collaboration would hurt. Don't know about everyone else but the leap from building a good pack/uniform and finding folks/places to wear said pack was a bit of a long one for me. You don't see that many events posted on these forums.
SPJ liked this
Personally, I think the community is fine as is... I agree with 100% of what Chace said above... anything else, and we might start driving people away...
Chace liked this
travisccook wrote:I don't think a little more organization and event collaboration would hurt. Don't know about everyone else but the leap from building a good pack/uniform and finding folks/places to wear said pack was a bit of a long one for me. You don't see that many events posted on these forums.
traviscook makes a pretty good point A.J.

It just doesn't seem like there is much information out there and if there is its buried in the forums pages pretty quick.
I run a classic Battlestar costuming group and we have a lot of cross over members from the 501st/Rebel Legion. I find that a lot of times the 501st template can kind of get in the way. When one 501st member found out I was a GB he said "oh...you're one of them..."

I reference this group all the time with how things can run more effectively. With the 501st, there is a larger organization that is run fairly strict, and then local chapters that are a crap shoot. With the GB franchises it is pretty even. There are a lot of local chapters that are very effective and able to do quite a bit and set their own tone. I really like the way things are done here.
SPJ liked this
I don't know much about the 501's Legion and I only just started building my first pack within the last two months.

But if I had to relate this to anything it reminds me of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) that I belong to when I was an official. The WFTDA was the governing body of established flat track roller derby leagues worldwide who were part of the association. Roller derby has grown in popularity in the last few years and in Massachusetts we now have at least seven different leagues where there were only three before. Newer leagues that want to be part of the WFTDA have to meet certain requirements, follow guidelines and have so many months of games under their belt before they can be considered for just apprenticeship.

When I first joined I was entering an already established WFTDA league so there was nothing more for me to do but meet the requirements to officiate a game. Like a lot of newbies some were in it to say they referee roller derby, others were in it to learn something new, while others made it their life. This is where I think it relates to lots of people like me looking to join up with local GB organizations. I'm sure many people here involved with their own organizations have met some really cool people, creepers and even flakes. Speaking from personal experience I know what it is like to recruit potential members and sometimes you just know who was serious and who was not. But there are also some people who aren't looking to make it their life and just want to have fun with people who share their passion.

To echo a point about "hurt feelings" that is very true. While my introduction into roller derby was great after I left I never looked back. This was due to a couple bad eggs in the basket who took it way too seriously. Though we were told we are all on the same page sometimes egos of experience officials would clash with newbies. On one occasion an official walked out in the middle of a game due to a difference of opinion with a fellow teammate. Unfortunately, when things like this happened it wouldn't hurt just our league but all the other leagues within the chain. New policies would be put in place which would require months of drafts and revisions before being put to vote for finalization. The worst part was that it would go through many different individuals before reaching our screens. From the top dogs in the association, to the local executive board members, to committee heads, to captains and coaches of teams to the members that made up the league. Phew, talk about headaches!

If Ghostbusters fans formed a 501 legion would that mean a new forum for the "GB 501 Legion" would have to be created? Who would run it? Would members have to be screened before being granted access? How much on the forum could members see? Would certain content be blocked? These were all questions the leagued asked when we developed our new forum.

Personally I think it is better that organizations like the ones found here are better to be independently ran by it's members and not have to answer to a higher authority. Keep it fun, casual and something everyone can feel they can be apart of without having to jump through hoops to be able to join up.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my thoughts about this topic with a personal experience.
SPJ liked this
I don't think we need to get all uber serious about it, if some people desire to take things to the next level that is okay; otherwise let people have their fun. Like we usta say around Fort Hood back in the 90's "If nobody gets hurt, then nothing is wrong."

Unfortunately some people will always walk away with hurt feelings. A big part of the reason for this is this is for some a hobby and for others a passion. Occasionally the two mix well but other times it will work like oil and water.

A lot of franchises out there do a lot of good work with fund raisers and such. I think they should recieve some kind of recognition for what they do.

I would also like to see some franchises host workshops for newbies who are trying to figure out how to build their packs and other equipment, not to build it for them or supply them with parts (unless they want to sell the parts, then thats their deal (I won't endorse or condemn it either way) and just establish a system of fraternity and brotherhood of people working to get the most out of their hobby or passion.

Just a thought.
SPJ wrote:I would also like to see some franchises host workshops for newbies who are trying to figure out how to build their packs and other equipment, not to build it for them or supply them with parts (unless they want to sell the parts, then thats their deal (I won't endorse or condemn it either way) and just establish a system of fraternity and brotherhood of people working to get the most out of their hobby or passion.
A lot of franchises already do this, they just don't talk about it much on the forums, but you'll see it on their Facebook pages...
SPJ liked this
pyhasanon wrote:
SPJ wrote:I would also like to see some franchises host workshops for newbies who are trying to figure out how to build their packs and other equipment, not to build it for them or supply them with parts (unless they want to sell the parts, then thats their deal (I won't endorse or condemn it either way) and just establish a system of fraternity and brotherhood of people working to get the most out of their hobby or passion.
A lot of franchises already do this, they just don't talk about it much on the forums, but you'll see it on their Facebook pages...
I get that. But if they put it out on sites such as this it might get even more draw. Free advertising is always awesome. Besides its about networking, or am I wrong?
True, but we don't need 501st style regulations to do that... I've been with the community for about a year, and what I've seen already established works...
Even with a different name (which is still GBI) and w/o an straight domain name, (which I can see registering again next year) Ghostbusters Incorporated still exists. All the info an individual, small group, or larger group needs for starting a franchise (fan club/group) is on the site. If you're into the "realism" that exists on the site too.

I admit one area GB Inc. lacks is keeping up with events, charitable or otherwise for every franchise. That's because in reality it's just me. With the way web sites and social media has evolved over the years, that kind of information can be more easily accessed through a group's site and/or social media extension.

https://ghostbustersinc.wordpress.com

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]