Let's be real, in 2022 I doubt the Ghostbusters would keep using the same car for jobs as they did in the 80's. The car is 63 years old or so. I know in the new film they updated a lot in the car to give it life again and make it more drivable, but what I am wondering is if "Ghostbusters" came out today, or if in the film universe, they needed a new car, what would they use?

I imagine an modern day hearse/caddy.

What car year hearse would you pick from if you had to pick one from the 90's to now?
That’s a really good question. Although in my opinion it isn’t that easy to answer.

I think the layers that go into deciding what car would be like this:

1. Just pick a modern car that looks kind of cool and a little bit weird like a 2023 Cadillac Cryptiq or Phoenix.

2. The thing was though that in the 1984 film they picked a (then) ancient 25 year old beat down 1959 Cadillac as the Ecto.

A similar line of thinking would mean they could pick a 1998 Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood for the new Ecto. But a 1998 car looks almost no different than any other car driving on the streets today. It looks a bit old, sure, but it looks more stately and boring than anything else. The 1959 looked like a spaceship even in 1984. Automotive technology changed so much more between 1959 and 1984 than it did between 1998 and 2023. The 1959 looks out of this world even today. The 70-90’s were very much the era of crash testing standards, crumple zones and cars that just looked like rounded boxes, not spaceships like the 50’s and 60’s.

3. The ‘59 Ecto is as much a character or recognizable brand entity of Ghostbusters as the packs or the logo is. Something tells me they won’t get rid of it or reimagine it. The ending of Afterlife kind of hints at that when Winston says he’ll fix her up and it rolls into the firehouse.

In my opinion Ghostbusters has always been about that low tech, garage built, home made, surreal aspect. Which fits the ‘59 Ecto perfectly. I could never imagine it as a slick corporation with brand new shiny equipment.

If Sony really needed a new car for expanding merchandising products they could go for another model that’s around the same time period, maybe a little older or a little newer.

Maybe 40’s to 60’s? I don’t know, maybe Ray developed a thing for old cars or it makes sense to have old cars to fix the (important) Ecto1 when it keeps breaking down or needs substitute parts.

I think any hearse from the 70’s-80’s would remind people of the 2016 reboot and any hearse from the 90’s doesn’t really look iconic enough.

Something also tells me that Firehouse will be a going into business (again) story like GB1 so not focused on slick corporate gear.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]