Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
SpaceBallz wrote: January 21st, 2022, 3:58 pm She supported my Ghostbusters obsession and got me everything Ghostbusters related growing up, we got to watch "Afterlife" together before she got sick.

We don't know when any of us will go, spend as much quality time as you can with your loved ones. Even if it's just a phone call.
Oh wow... I can't imagine. I'm sorry for your loss.
Alphagaia liked this
Switching gears...
Davideverona wrote:
https://youtu.be/0pQQdYdPqU0

Can anyone make out what Winston has under his arms?

At first, my brain mistook it for the EPA form from the old Ghostbusters roleplaying game, Upon further examination, it is not one-for-one.

I tried uprezzing the image using AI, but what you see in that screencap is the best I can do.
groschopf wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:11 am Switching gears...
Davideverona wrote:
https://youtu.be/0pQQdYdPqU0

Can anyone make out what Winston has under his arms?

At first, my brain mistook it for the EPA form from the old Ghostbusters roleplaying game, Upon further examination, it is not one-for-one.

I tried uprezzing the image using AI, but what you see in that screencap is the best I can do.
You're my hero.

So, it's a document needed to restore a building?
groschopf liked this
Davideverona wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:21 am So, it's a document needed to restore a building?
Oh, I honestly cannot tell at all. My pattern-seeking brain was reminded of that old operating permit, but I can't really make anything out at all. It could be anything. It appears to be stamped, but that doesn't give us much. I can't squeeze any more detail out of screencaps pulled from the clip.

It could be a document pertaining to filing. It could be a random sheet put on that clipboard to look official. it could be a prop sheet designed by the art department. It could be a take-out menu. We don't have enough information to draw conclusions, from what I can tell.

I can try pulling up that feature on my Apple copy of Afterlife tonight and see if there's any more resolution to be gained, but I don't have a lot to work with using that YouTube video.

I guess the first question is whether these documents are Ernie Hudson's personal documents or if they are a prop for the Winston character. Assuming its a prop, I bet that it's a closing package for the purchase of the building. Those tend to include purchase and sale agreements, inspection reports, recorded easements, and the deed to the property. That would be my best guess.
JonXCTrack wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:11 am I guess the first question is whether these documents are Ernie Hudson's personal documents or if they are a prop for the Winston character. Assuming its a prop, I bet that it's a closing package for the purchase of the building. Those tend to include purchase and sale agreements, inspection reports, recorded easements, and the deed to the property. That would be my best guess.
100% a prop.
https://movieweb.com/ghostbustersafterl ... 016-movie/

This is what I perceive to be a fair article about Ghostbusters Afterlife and 2016. While they mention the backlash they don't blame it on one side and go into some kind of rant. Nor do they bring it up to rile people in the comments section. I wish there were more articles like this.
Something I noticed the other day, when Venkman says “light em up” the wand it cuts to powering up is the Spengler wand, you can see the shotgun grip make an appearance. The og wands from the pics taken at the display in another thread had white hat lights and not a sunken orange hat light on the gunbox so definitely an insert shot of the Spengler wand. Makes me wonder what electronic kits the og wands had installed if they decided to insert a shot of another wand,

https://imgur.com/a/51GPZT1
gerard55 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:37 pm Something I noticed the other day, when Venkman says “light em up” the wand it cuts to powering up is the Spengler wand, you can see the shotgun grip make an appearance. The og wands from the pics taken at the display in another thread had white hat lights and not a sunken orange hat light on the gunbox so definitely an insert shot of the Spengler wand. Makes me wonder what electronic kits the og wands had installed if they decided to insert a shot of another wand,

https://imgur.com/a/51GPZT1
That cut away shot you mention is actually the closeup shot that featured Ivan Reitman in the Spengler suit
deadderek wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:28 pm
UEF wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:14 am

I think there'll easily be a sequel. Too much money made already at the box office, home video and merchandise, and a story deliberately left open.

Whether the sequel will be as good as the first one? That, too, can draw from the experience of the 1980s ;)
I'm hoping we get a Batman Begins & Dark Knight scenario. First one is pretty good but the second one just knocks it out of the park .

Let's see the Ecto tearing up the streets of New York with the new team. Ghosts plaguing the city again (montage filled with them of course), with Ray and Winston holding down the Firehouse and teaching the newbies the ropes.

Give Grooberson and Callie the chance to throw on a pack at some point.

Let's get a completely new threat to deal with.

Dammit...I just want more!

:D

This is off topic but

Beyond Heath Ledger & his great performance, I will never understand The Dark Knight’s popularity. I’d rather watch Batman & Robin. I mean, ya it’s a really good performance from Heath. But everyone else is…not good. Morgan Freeman is on auto pilot paycheque mode. Bale’s Batman voice is the opposite of terrifying. It’s legitimately hilarious. Michael Caine is at his Michael Caineiest. And then there’s the plot? It’s so full of weird choices that make no sense. Gordon having the prisoners get on the ferry, Bruce taking an entire ballet show with him for an alibi…and then proceeds to leave and get on a plane, the finger print bullet thing…ugh I could go on and on.

Sorry off topic I know. But sometimes I feel like I’ve been watching a different movie than the rest of the world. The actions scenes are so bland & poorly directed. But it’s one of those movies that like everybody loves. Then again I’ve never been a big Nolan fan.

Anyways back to GB talk.

You know what I actually really enjoy about this movie? The needle drops. They really set a different tone & aren’t obvious choices. I also really wish they would’ve re used Randy Edelman’s big hero theme from GB2.

I rewatched about half of the movie and had a thought. I know everyone will disagree with this but…I think you could lose the opening with Egon & not miss much. It causes more questions and problems than anything. Why does Egon not have a proton pack? I think that scene works better if it shows Egon trapping the ghost with a pack and then succumbing to a heart attack. Otherwise, Zuul or whoever is chasing him at the start…they just go back to the temple? It chases Egon across town, he dies, and then….nothing happens until the other terror dog is released accidentally. So why not have Egon catch the ghost, he hides the trap, and passes away & then it’s released accidentally. The way it is now, the other terror dog just does nothing.

That’s another thing. Do we think the Sentinel Form killed Egon or he died of a heart attack fighting it off with that PKE meter? We’ve never seen a ghost kill. I’m not sure if like that idea.

Also, we may get the GB script online soon. Today Sony released the Spider-Man No Way home script on deadline.com ..which surprised me. But is also a good sign that they aren’t just releasing movies that are in the “Best Picture” convo. That script is our key to really understanding this movie.

Was GB16’s script ever put online? I can’t remember.
RichardLess wrote: I rewatched about half of the movie and had a thought. I know everyone will disagree with this but…I think you could lose the opening with Egon & not miss much.
I actually just thought of that tonight, too, on rewatch. But for so many reasons that was the cold open. The stakes are set, the last moments of Egon's natural life, the story is set up, etc. Could we have pieced it together if that scene was deleted? I think so. Would it have worked better? Hmm.
RichardLess wrote: It causes more questions and problems than anything. Why does Egon not have a proton pack? I think that scene works better if it shows Egon trapping the ghost with a pack and then succumbing to a heart attack. Otherwise, Zuul or whoever is chasing him at the start…they just go back to the temple? It chases Egon across town, he dies, and then….nothing happens until the other terror dog is released accidentally. So why not have Egon catch the ghost, he hides the trap, and passes away & then it’s released accidentally. The way it is now, the other terror dog just does nothing.

That’s another thing. Do we think the Sentinel Form killed Egon or he died of a heart attack fighting it off with that PKE meter? We’ve never seen a ghost kill. I’m not sure if like that idea.
I think the idea was his priority all those decades was buying/accumulating/cobbling parts and setting up the primary and secondary measures, the Trap Field outside the house and the Proton Cannons at the temple. We have to remember he wasn't flush with cash so it was probably a slow go building everything, in contrast to the start of GB1. Then after that was all done, then he started work on building another Proton Pack but he ran out of time and it was 2021, the year of the next cross rip and he had to make his move with just a Trap.

No, I don't think Zuul directly killed him. I think the idea was it was a combination of Egon's age and health at this point, and the adrenaline of trapping Vinz, racing back, truck flip, the demon hand scare all at once was too much for Egon's physiology. Zuul did her demon arm thing. Egon zaps Zuul. Zuul flees. With the ritual reset from the Proton Cannons crossing streams as he's leaving, Zuul finally sort of auto- recalled back to the temple before it could tear up the floor and retrieve the Trap. Then the heart attack sets in, happens and Egon perishes. And the sequence of events of the ritual is reset to the next day and that goes for however many days, probably 2-4 days between Egon's death and the family arriving (factoring in a drive from Chicago to Summerville and Phoebe stating later in the movie to Ray that Egon "died last week").
RichardLess wrote: Was GB16’s script ever put online? I can’t remember.
Nope. No drafts have ever been released yet.
timeware wrote:I remember reading that there was no script for 2016. That would explain a hell of a lot. Almost six years later and a no show. I think were safe to assume that was correct?
Sounds inaccurate. I don't think studios approve a movie without a script? In any case, the Empire Magazine Issue 324 June 2016 issue, there was an anecdote where Feig and Dippold spent Halloween 2014 holed up in one of their houses working on a script. Then in April 2015, it was reported Tim Rothman wanted a lower budget, so Paul had to edit the script to remove some costlier things. Then June 5, 2025, Aykroyd said he read a script. Thinking back to a piece with Chris Hemsworth, it sounded like they were rewriting daily on the set and adding things and also let the actors do their own riff hence the amount of alternate reels on the special features. So like the case of Kevin, his lines might not be in the shooting script because a lot of his lines were improvised on the set. So as principal went on, the shooting script was probably different compared to the final movie which is fairly common with Hollywood movies.

Anyway, very happy to see that Ecto-1a plate. I guess that's what they were hinting at early about us getting an answer about Ecto-1a in the movie but the shot got deleted during editing and/or Jason has ideas for explaining it in a future movie.
robbritton liked this
Since the license plate was not technically shown in the movie I guess they could backtrack on it but I’ve always considered it the same car just reverted back to the original style at some point for the mods...and getting rid of the unnecessary extra weight.

Some (and one person on another board I’ve discussed it with) insist there’s 2 duplicate cars. I just cannot believe that in GB2 they’d replace Ecto1 with the exact same model when they just got back into business AND it still worked. Only needed fixing up.

I have no problem with the 2 finger logo. I wish it was faded or half scratched away on one side of the car. That would have been cool.
jonogunn wrote: January 27th, 2022, 3:20 am Having the etco-1a be a separate mobile would make more sense in-universe
It makes no sense - there's still only four Ghostbusters, so there's no need for two cars, and they're 'led' by a guy always keen to do something flashy for public effect. Ecto-1A is literally only a joke whereby the punchline is all the advertising and extra pointless junk they've strapped on top. It's funny - one of many long gag payoffs to the "oh they'll be totally discreet!" from the first film.

It's the same old Ecto with stuff slapped on, as they are the same old ghostbusters with new logos and gigantic slime tanks slapped on.
robbritton wrote: January 27th, 2022, 5:55 am
jonogunn wrote: January 27th, 2022, 3:20 am Having the etco-1a be a separate mobile would make more sense in-universe
It makes no sense - there's still only four Ghostbusters, so there's no need for two cars, and they're 'led' by a guy always keen to do something flashy for public effect. Ecto-1A is literally only a joke whereby the punchline is all the advertising and extra pointless junk they've strapped on top. It's funny - one of many long gag payoffs to the "oh they'll be totally discreet!" from the first film.

It's the same old Ecto with stuff slapped on, as they are the same old ghostbusters with new logos and gigantic slime tanks slapped on.
As per GB2 script Ecto-1 broke down after the birthday party, possibly beyond repair due to cash. When the guys got back into business they either fixed it and remodeled it into Ecto-1A OR they bought a new '59 Miller-Meteor and turned that one into Ecto-1A (probably within a week according to movie time). If it's a separate car it does make sense that Ecto-1 was stored somewhere and sometime after the events of GB2 for some reason Ray and Egon thought it would be a good idea to fix it and turn it into a ghost chase/pursuit car with the gunner seat and the RTV. It would not make sense to me if Egon, all by himself, would take Ecto-1A and all of Ecto-1s original gear to Oklahoma, strip it down and bring it back to Ecto-1 but with a setup that requires AT LEAST three people to operate effectively.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:47 am
timeware wrote:I remember reading that there was no script for 2016. That would explain a hell of a lot. Almost six years later and a no show. I think were safe to assume that was correct?
Sounds inaccurate. I don't think studios approve a movie without a script? In any case, the Empire Magazine Issue 324 June 2016 issue, there was an anecdote where Feig and Dippold spent Halloween 2014 holed up in one of their houses working on a script. Then in April 2015, it was reported Tim Rothman wanted a lower budget, so Paul had to edit the script to remove some costlier things. Then June 5, 2025, Aykroyd said he read a script. Thinking back to a piece with Chris Hemsworth, it sounded like they were rewriting daily on the set and adding things and also let the actors do their own riff hence the amount of alternate reels on the special features. So like the case of Kevin, his lines might not be in the shooting script because a lot of his lines were improvised on the set. So as principal went on, the shooting script was probably different compared to the final movie which is fairly common with Hollywood movies.

Anyway, very happy to see that Ecto-1a plate. I guess that's what they were hinting at early about us getting an answer about Ecto-1a in the movie but the shot got deleted during editing and/or Jason has ideas for explaining it in a future movie.
The older movies come to mind.I want to say Casablanca. No i'm not that old, I just like older movies.

Iron Man didn't have a completed script, the early disney movies had no scripts. I'm sure if I spent some extra time researching I could probobly come up with a few more. It does happen. It sounds like from your description the script for ATC had more holes then a slice of swiss cheese.

I don't know this for sure but a movie that you would think didn't have a script would have been Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
mrmichaelt liked this
robbritton wrote: Ecto-1A is literally only a joke whereby the punchline is all the advertising and extra pointless junk they've strapped on top. It's funny - one of many long gag payoffs to the "oh they'll be totally discreet!" from the first film.
Ecto24601 wrote: It would not make sense to me if Egon, all by himself, would take Ecto-1A and all of Ecto-1s original gear to Oklahoma, strip it down and bring it back to Ecto-1 but with a setup that requires AT LEAST three people to operate effectively.
Ecto-gate is back on!
I'm in the "2 cars" club, but only since Afterlife came along - I assumed until then that it was the same car, its obnoxious restoration in 2 basically a middle finger to everyone who made fun of them since they went out of business (I like the deleted bit where Hardemeyer refers to it as a clown car).

But its appearance in Afterlife - I have a hard time seeing a reason (within the story) why it would be reverted completely back to its original look, including the original plates which New York discontinued in '86. (If it still kept some element from the 1-A - the plates, maybe a faded logo or the back bumper or something, I wouldn't have my tinfoil hat on.) Considering how forward-thinking Egon usually was (like adding the gunner seat) I can't see him strolling down memory lane and painstakingly reverting everything else back to 1984.
It's one of the factors behind the "GB2 is no longer canon" rumor, because its appearance here only makes sense if the Ecto 1-A never happened. (*whispers* ...unless there's two cars)

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]