For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
I was looking around the (Slimer! and) the Real Ghostbusters episode guide and noticed that season 7 only had 4 episodes, which made no sense to me. I knew why season 2 had 65 episodes (syndication) and why season 4 had 8 episodes (Slimer's spinoff)

I would presume it was cancelled, but all the sources I looked on said that the show "ended" on October 5th, 1991, not specifically cancelled, and there's barely any information about season 7 anyways, so, if you know, how did the Real Ghostbusters get cancelled?
The season may've originally planned to be longer, but the drop in ratings resulted in the show's cancellation before the remaining episodes for the seventh season were animated/completed.

Or alternately, the four were commissioned as a low-key commitment, kinda like how Timeless was cancelled before it was finished, and then given a brief lifeline with the two-part Christmas special that wrapped up the plotlines as best as it could? It's possible the four episodes were a test to see if the show could return to its more successful roots... But the plan didn't pan out.
Roboreverie liked this
I was always curious, too.

-If after Sony bought Columbia and started assessing their properties, they looked at the box office performance of Ghostbusters II and made a decision.

-Or what was the situation with Kenner. Did Sony end the contract or did Kenner pull out, I think they stopped releasing toys in late 1990? So without that funding arm, the show was essentially dead without a toy company.

-Did ABC kill it because ratings sucked after they moved it to a new slot for season 7?

-Back then, shows just got too expensive to make the longer it's on TV and by then you see the quality drop of the animation as they've had to go to other studios for overseas animation. And JMS's return was too little too late.

-Or maybe, it was a little of all 4.
Based on the behind the scenes info we have I think it was a miracle we got a show as good as it was for those first 2 seasons.

Once Lorenzo Music and Straczynski left the show just wasn't the same.

Even now, there's a weird... almost disownment of Real Ghostbusters compared to the movie nostalgia - despite it being a very popular show in it's own right in the early 90's. I wonder if that is because the creative direction of the show/IP was seen as outsourced and therefore it's popularity almost competed with the direction of the movie franchise rather than being supplemental? The show fleshed out the characters and lore in a way that is the most satisfying out of any incarnation of Ghostbusters imo.

If they were to make an on-going Ghostbusters movie franchise or TV series: Real Ghostbusters is the blueprint.
I am guessing that despite JMS coming back to write for seasons five and six, the ratings did not pick up like ABC/ Colombia Pictures had hoped they would. As a result of this, the producers of The Real Ghostbusters decided to make season 7 shorter. Plus, the toy line from Kenner was already lagging in sales compared to Playmates Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 1991 was the last year that any new Real Ghostbusters toys were sold( The Ecto Glow action figures) and a number of items that Kenner had in pre-production were not produced.

Also I would not be surprised if the budget DIC was giving the show caused the last season to be so short, since they had changed animation studios in season six and occasionally had to reuse scenes from earlier seasons to complete episodes on budget.
Even now, there's a weird... almost disownment of Real Ghostbusters compared to the movie nostalgia - despite it being a very popular show in it's own right in the early 90's. I wonder if that is because the creative direction of the show/IP was seen as outsourced and therefore it's popularity almost competed with the direction of the movie franchise rather than being supplemental? The show fleshed out the characters and lore in a way that is the most satisfying out of any incarnation of Ghostbusters imo.
I myself am starting to wonder if there was a struggle with certain rights issues. Look at Extreme Ghostbusters--the statue of Venkman with a blurred-out face; the RGB equipment that isn't quite RGB equipment; the redesigns of Egon and Slimer so that they're recognizably their RGB selves without actually being their RGB selves (and this goes for the rest of the guys in "Back in the Saddle")...The only thing from RGB that actually remains is the containment unit, and I suspect that's why it wasn't introduced until the new trap input had been installed (do correct me if I'm wrong).

My hypothesis has been that, while Columbia Pictures own the IP rights to the name Ghostbusters, DiC had the rights to the particular look of the characters and the equipment they used, all of which would have been designed by DiC employees, and this is why Real Ghostbusters is now quasi-dormant outside of the 2016 DVDs and the very limited Walmart exclusives.

The acquisition of DiC's properties and holdings by Cookie Jar and later DHX Media (and now WildBrain) might have complicated things further--it seems nobody is particularly interested in coming to some kind of accord.
mike_waclo, Chicken, He Clucked and 1 others liked this
South Suburbs GBFan wrote: January 26th, 2021, 8:48 am
I myself am starting to wonder if there was a struggle with certain rights issues. Look at Extreme Ghostbusters--the statue of Venkman with a blurred-out face; the RGB equipment that isn't quite RGB equipment; the redesigns of Egon and Slimer so that they're recognizably their RGB selves without actually being their RGB selves (and this goes for the rest of the guys in "Back in the Saddle")...The only thing from RGB that actually remains is the containment unit, and I suspect that's why it wasn't introduced until the new trap input had been installed (do correct me if I'm wrong).

My hypothesis has been that, while Columbia Pictures own the IP rights to the name Ghostbusters, DiC had the rights to the particular look of the characters and the equipment they used, all of which would have been designed by DiC employees, and this is why Real Ghostbusters is now quasi-dormant outside of the 2016 DVDs and the very limited Walmart exclusives.

The acquisition of DiC's properties and holdings by Cookie Jar and later DHX Media (and now WildBrain) might have complicated things further--it seems nobody is particularly interested in coming to some kind of accord.
Well researched and deduced! I wonder if anyone working with the toys for Hasbro or Diamond Select would know more about the rights, though could be under NDA. Now you mention it - this could explain why the RGB lines over the last decade have all been a little off. It might even explain why it hasn't been subject of The Toys That Made Us yet.

Some prominent ghostheads have stated they have no nostalgia or fandom for RGB, only the movies, so maybe it is only a subset of a subset of fans who have interest in Real GB.

Didn't MJ Straczynski tweet that he would be interested in resurrecting RGB - to no response? Maybe that says a lot.
The answer lies in RGB's very nature as ephemeral pop culture. Columbia and DiC's negotiations lasted for the life of the property. The show ended, Kenner concluded the RGB line, every party involved moved on, and the original Columbia/DiC negotiations got lost in the shuffle.

Really, it all comes down to Paul Rudoff's possession of the RGB model sheets, all of which are prominently stamped with the DiC logo, and also the EGB situation. From there, it's all my own conjecture and extrapolation.
Something else just occurred to me: Why did we never get Boogieman, Sandman, what, et al alongside Banshee Bomber and the others on the shelves?

Answer: As with all other things, the ghosts and monsters would have been DiC property too. Kenner's license extended to the core Ghostbusters, Slimer, Stay-Puft, ECTO-1 and ECTO-2. (As an amusing aside, this may also be why the Louis figurine looks like Rick Moranis instead of the cartoon version--presumably, as a side character, his likeness rights came cheap.)

This might be why we got all the Fright Features and Super Fright Features characters as well: Peter in brown; Egon in cool grey; Ray in tan; and Winston in light blue are DiC's characters. But! Egon in black with purple; Winston in a green spacesuit; Peter in a gray suit with waders and yellow suspenders; and Ray in blue with a silver techno-vest...All of these are Kenner properties.
Last edited by South Suburbs GBFan on February 5th, 2021, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to assume it was a choice by ABC directly, such as ratings and such. But back in the day toys mattered and Kenner had ended it's production of the Real Ghostbusters toys in early 1991, which was way before the series saw it's end. Kenner was in late 1990 merging into Hasbro, and all lines other than Startup were cancelled. It was even clear there was a dead stop in Kenner production in 1991 with many things delayed (some Batman Dark Knight items that were rebooted in the Batman Returns a year later) . It seems to me the toy line ended the series and not the ratings. ABC had tried to push Real Ghostbusters to the graveyard of 11 am slot. Mid-season ABC switched Real Ghostbusters or Bugs Bunny (depends on station) to the 9:00 slot as Hammerman was a bomb. ABC clearly would not be the ones ending the show if they themselves moved it mid-season to try to recover the 9 o'clock prime time hour.
mrmichaelt liked this

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]