tylergfoster wrote: January 29th, 2022, 3:00 pm ...since I was never clear how much of the possessed Ray thing was actually shot...
From my research, all of it.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:30 pm But those of us with review copies can't legally join in just because the cat is out of the bag.
Which is funny since I'm guessing they were meant to be early review copies. Now it's just embargoed old news. TBH, I REALLY missed the buzz and conversation from the GB outlets I frequent. The opposite of what I'm guessing was supposed to happen.

I ABSOLUTELY look forward to hearing your thoughts on the material, though! ...and Mr. Less! :love:
mrmichaelt wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:30 pm I don't get angry at this point about what we get. New stuff is new stuff. On one hand, having to keep buying new sets to get the new material bites. On the other hand, Sony is a multi-headed corporation where lot's of decisions are made on several levels. That's not even to consider the state or lack of archiving and organizing Columbia and Sony did with the old material over the decades. For instance, the Kansas salt mines archive. It feels like they've finished going through what they found and some department heads made the determination that this is enough for a new release while others were saying 'what about the other Sony mine, we should look through there' while marketing is saying, let's put out a new set to time with the Blu-ray release of Afterlife. So I think there's the possibility that not all the GB2 deleted material was in the same mine and could be somewhere else or God forbid lost.
I've come to terms with my regular GB/GB2 home media purchase, as long as they keep giving us fresh material. There's sooooooooooooooo much unseen stuff that still exists. I don't believe any of it is lost. The GB2 score was once thought lost. Detmerring was thought lost. Things will keep surfacing. Maybe in other box sets, maybe in documentaries, fan collections, crew archives, etc.

I welcome any new material with open arms and warm fanboy heart! I really don't get the brouhaha with the packaging. Send it in a blank cardboard sleeve for all I care, just give me new peeks behind the curtain.
tylergfoster wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:48 am I should clarify: we're talking about Ray crashing the car from the novelization? The entire car crash was shot?
Great point-- I don't think there was an actual impact/fender bender, despite it being in the script. The "Winston grabs the wheel" bit is obviously shot outside of the firehouse in NYC-- no trees. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be in front of HQ in the movie. Perhaps an actual prop tree and greens were brought in for the scene? The 1A is still in good cosmetic shape in the museum scenes at the end of the movie, which was shot around the same time as the firehouse bits.

Insert shots inside the car were filmed in LA, around the area of the LA23 firehouse, and on Burbank streets near the soundstages.

Brain fart-- with Jason mentioning the 1A in press, having ideas or whatever, perhaps all 1A scenes were intentionally held back? That would explain the randomly missing second Sherman scene. There was apparently an interior reverse shot at the firehouse with Louis chasing after the 1A (montage). Who knows what other B-Roll gold was shot with the car. My favorite shot in the movie is in the end credits bit with Janine holding the traps. A gorgeous wide shot!
azza200, tylergfoster, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
d_osborn wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:56 pm
tylergfoster wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:48 am I should clarify: we're talking about Ray crashing the car from the novelization? The entire car crash was shot?
Great point-- I don't think there was an actual impact/fender bender, despite it being in the script. The "Winston grabs the wheel" bit is obviously shot outside of the firehouse in NYC-- no trees. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be in front of HQ in the movie. Perhaps an actual prop tree and greens were brought in for the scene? The 1A is still in good cosmetic shape in the museum scenes at the end of the movie, which was shot around the same time as the firehouse bits.

Insert shots inside the car were filmed in LA, around the area of the LA23 firehouse, and on Burbank streets near the soundstages.
This clears it up for me. Actually wrecking the car is an expensive stunt, and for there to be no photographic evidence of the damaged/destroyed car always made me think it must not have been shot. I knew the in-car inserts of the red light and Venkman looking panicked were taken from the scene and put in the montage, but it wouldn't have shocked me (when I thought there was still a crash at the end) that they shot the inserts inside the car, but not the actual out-of-control car and crash (I admit the car racing around the corner, that just seems like something they might have shot for the montage anyway, but they are going fast enough that it makes sense as part of the scene).
d_osborn wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:56 pm Perhaps an actual prop tree and greens were brought in for the scene? The 1A is still in good cosmetic shape in the museum scenes at the end of the movie, which was shot around the same time as the firehouse bits.
I wonder if they'd planned to have Ray go psycho just as Ecto-1A was nearing the Firehouse, and then film the tree impact at the Bowling Green standing in for a park? Seeing as they already had units in that area for the museum exterior filming.

It'd be an old Hollywood trick to frame the camera angle to make it look like the car hit the tree without it actually physically hitting it (naturally they wouldn't really crash it seeing as they couldn't fall back on the original Ecto-1 prop because of it's unreliability)... And any "damage" could be repaired by Ray off-camera.
It looks like the majority if not all the possessed Ray driving was done in NY. Paul Rudoff and Devilmanozzy pieced it together from the shots in the montage, the Coca-Cola commercial, a B&W photo in the press kit, and a color photo that showed up in the Ectomobile book. Ecto-1a headed north on Hudson Street, turning west onto Barrow Street (roughly 460 Hudson Street / 93 Barrow Street) in New York City. The phrasing in the script was skidding into a tree. Idk, maybe they brought in a tree or were near enough to Washington Square Park?

https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... eted11.htm

This one was before the Ectomobile photo.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ghost ... 0127021609
deadderek liked this
d_osborn wrote: January 30th, 2022, 10:23 am
tylergfoster wrote: January 29th, 2022, 3:00 pm ...since I was never clear how much of the possessed Ray thing was actually shot...
From my research, all of it.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:30 pm But those of us with review copies can't legally join in just because the cat is out of the bag.
Which is funny since I'm guessing they were meant to be early review copies. Now it's just embargoed old news. TBH, I REALLY missed the buzz and conversation from the GB outlets I frequent. The opposite of what I'm guessing was supposed to happen.

I ABSOLUTELY look forward to hearing your thoughts on the material, though! ...and Mr. Less! :love:
mrmichaelt wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:30 pm I don't get angry at this point about what we get. New stuff is new stuff. On one hand, having to keep buying new sets to get the new material bites. On the other hand, Sony is a multi-headed corporation where lot's of decisions are made on several levels. That's not even to consider the state or lack of archiving and organizing Columbia and Sony did with the old material over the decades. For instance, the Kansas salt mines archive. It feels like they've finished going through what they found and some department heads made the determination that this is enough for a new release while others were saying 'what about the other Sony mine, we should look through there' while marketing is saying, let's put out a new set to time with the Blu-ray release of Afterlife. So I think there's the possibility that not all the GB2 deleted material was in the same mine and could be somewhere else or God forbid lost.
I've come to terms with my regular GB/GB2 home media purchase, as long as they keep giving us fresh material. There's sooooooooooooooo much unseen stuff that still exists. I don't believe any of it is lost. The GB2 score was once thought lost. Detmerring was thought lost. Things will keep surfacing. Maybe in other box sets, maybe in documentaries, fan collections, crew archives, etc.

I welcome any new material with open arms and warm fanboy heart! I really don't get the brouhaha with the packaging. Send it in a blank cardboard sleeve for all I care, just give me new peeks behind the curtain.
From the sounds of it the best look at GB2 we are ever likely to get is going to be the Bueno’s documentary.

The biggest mystery for me is all the finished ILM stuff that got cut. That Slimer stuff is all done & composited. They even cut it into the movie for a screen test. Where is that footage I wonder? Part of me wonders if they aren’t releasing scenes with completed FX because fans might cut it into the movie and make a fan edit. I don’t know.

What’s funny is when all those deleted scenes were announced I thought “no way ray possessed isn’t included”. But…
That’s why I wish we could get someone from Ghostcorp to agree to an AMA and gets answers on these questions.

I’m trying to think of all the releases we’ve had where a new special feature was added, a new master or new format. There was the 1999 DVD(both films), the 2005 green slime covered box set, the 2009 blu ray(GB1 only), and then the remastered blu ray a couple years later(GB1 only), then GB 1&2 got a blu ray release in 2014-First time we get deleted scenes for GB2. Then we get GB 1 & 2 in 4K UHD, then we get that expensive steel book with the GB2 commentary, Oprah Winfrey special. And now we get the Ultimate 4K. That’s 8 releases not including the random bundles with GB16.

This is still a great set tho. Sure some of the GB2 deleted scenes we all want to see aren’t there but not many companies will release preview cuts and raw dailies. Apparently Sony has been really upping its game when it comes to Home video sets.
Here's my recollection of the home video releases on DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K, and my basic opinion of them:

• Ghostbusters - Collector's Series DVD and Ghostbusters II DVD (June 29th, 1999) - Initial DVD releases. Easily the best of the DVDs for the original movie. Movies are also available as a double feature set.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II Double Feature DVD (August 2nd, 2005) - Introduces bad blown-out PQ for the original, and drops a bunch of the extras from the original DVD. Adds 2 episodes of the cartoon, and a book. Packaging is arguably more attractive, but this is a downgrade.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II DVDs (March 14th, 2006) - Individual versions of the double feature editions. Double-dip and downgrade all in one.
  • Ghostbusters Blu-ray (June 16th, 2009) - Initial Blu-ray release. Still plagued by underwhelming PQ, and not all of the original DVD extras are restored (although a couple of new ones have been added). As a fan, one can only really say "pass on this" in retrospect since it was the first edition on the format, but this is not a great disc.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II Double Feature DVD gift set (October 6th, 2009) - The same DVD set, with a collectible Stay-Puft statue. Double-dip.
  • Ghostbusters Mastered in 4K Blu-ray (May 14th, 2013) - Finally, a beautiful and proper transfer. Big downside is that Sony is essentially reviving its Superbit line here and there are no extras. Another one that I would've said was worth buying at the time for the remastered picture, but which was skippable in the big picture.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Digibook (September 16th, 2014) - This was the definitive release of the films on regular Blu-ray. The 4K transfer, with most of the extras (I think a couple of the missing ones were restored), plus the premiere of Ghostbusters II on Blu-ray, which also receives its own extras for the first time on home video. Both movies look great and the book is nice. Also available, a version with a Slimer statue.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K UHDs (June 7th, 2016) - Premiere of both films on 4K UHD. No serious complaints, except the cover art sucks.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 35th Anniversary 4K UHD Steelbook (June 11th, 2019) - As I said elsewhere in the thread, I have a hard time looking back at this and not thinking this was the big double-dip of the 4K era so far. Sony drummed up a ton of good stuff for this set, and in and of itself, I think it's a nice package, but it seems impossible to believe that Sony did not already know they would be producing a new edition to promote Ghostbusters: Afterlife on home video. Had the movie not been delayed for almost two years, we might have gotten the new box set releasing this week at the end of 2020. Frankly, I can't help but think there's an explanation there for why the Steelbook went out of print almost immediately and didn't return -- the people who missed out would've been rewarded with the new box set. It's also kind of a bummer because it does a disservice to both sets of new extras produced for both films, in a way. If we'd gotten the entire range of new extras that appear on both sets at once, this new one would be even more of a slam dunk.
  • Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection 4K UHD (February 1st, 2022) - I don't have mine yet, but I'd say this is really worthwhile upgrade over the initial 4K UHDs and a reasonably worthwhile upgrade over the previous 4K UHDs, given the new Dolby Vision pass on the original two films, the new extras, and especially the OOP book.
Last edited by tylergfoster on January 31st, 2022, 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicken, He Clucked, Kingpin and -1 others liked this
Nice breakdown, thanks for that.

Predictably, I decided to keep my pre-order for the 8-disc set, it's too good to pass up and there's no guarantee we'll see more material.

But this means we have finally run out of Afterlife promo merch and the home release is done. The Hasbro pack updates later in the year and that's it.

The Ghostbusters horizon is blank once again.

I wonder how long they'll wait to announce what's next. We could have a quiet period until Ghostbusters Day I guess?
deadderek, tylergfoster liked this
UEF wrote:I’d imagine an updated and expanded Afterlife will come around the same time as the inevitable 4th film. One deleted scene on the Blu Ray? They’re holding stuff back. There were things on the trailers and mentioned by cast that weren’t in the film.
Yeah and they all sound great. Cannot wait to get our hands on the extra Afterlife material eventually.

I just worry an Afterlife 2 isn't guaranteed given the box office take.
Afterlife hasn't opened in Japan yet (4th February) or Slovakia (24 February) - not that I imagine the latter would make a huge difference, but Japan may help raise a decent chunk of change.
Sony has been ramping up the marketing out there with participation of cast members from Shaman King who have provided voices for the Japanese dub of the movie.
mrmichaelt wrote:I think it's a given the next set after this one will be in 2024 for the 40th anniversary and we'll see more Afterlife bonus material then like, knock wood, more of the deleted scenes.
Let's go all in with extended cuts of GBII and Afterlife.

An Afterlife sequel dropping in 2024, if it's coming, makes too much sense.

Also: So the US version of the gift set has the unique cardboard sleeves AND the 4K BR cases.

What possible justification is there for not producing cardboard sleeves in the UK edition!? Given the price it's pretty disgusting.
mrmichaelt liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:16 am
mrmichaelt wrote:I think it's a given the next set after this one will be in 2024 for the 40th anniversary and we'll see more Afterlife bonus material then like, knock wood, more of the deleted scenes.
Let's go all in with extended cuts of GBII and Afterlife.

An Afterlife sequel dropping in 2024, if it's coming, makes too much sense.

Also: So the US version of the gift set has the unique cardboard sleeves AND the 4K BR cases.

What possible justification is there for not producing cardboard sleeves in the UK edition!? Given the price it's pretty disgusting.
Possibly due to needing to have BBFC ratings on them
tylergfoster wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:33 pm Here's my recollection of the home video releases on DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K, and my basic opinion of them:

• Ghostbusters - Collector's Series DVD and Ghostbusters II DVD (June 29th, 1999) - Initial DVD releases. Easily the best of the DVDs for the original movie. Movies are also available as a double feature set.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II Double Feature DVD (August 2nd, 2005) - Introduces bad blown-out PQ for the original, and drops a bunch of the extras from the original DVD. Adds 2 episodes of the cartoon, and a book. Packaging is arguably more attractive, but this is a downgrade.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II DVDs (March 14th, 2006) - Individual versions of the double feature editions. Double-dip and downgrade all in one.
  • Ghostbusters Blu-ray (June 16th, 2009) - Initial Blu-ray release. Still plagued by underwhelming PQ. As a fan, one can only really say "pass on this" in retrospect since it was the first edition on the format, but this is not a great disc.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II Double Feature DVD gift set (October 6th, 2009) - The same DVD set, with a collectible Stay-Puft statue. Double-dip.
  • Ghostbusters Mastered in 4K Blu-ray (May 14th, 2013) - Finally, a beautiful and proper transfer. Big downside is that Sony is essentially reviving its Superbit line here and there are no extras. Another one that I would've said was worth buying at the time for the remastered picture, but is not that great of a disc.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Digibook (September 16th, 2014) - This was the definitive release of the films on regular Blu-ray. The 4K transfer, with most of the extras, plus the premiere of Ghostbusters II on Blu-ray, which also receives its own extras for the first time on home video. Both movies look great and the book is nice. Also available, a version with a Slimer statue.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K UHDs (June 7th, 2016) - Premiere of both films on 4K UHD. No serious complaints, except the cover art sucks.
  • Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 35th Anniversary 4K UHD Steelbook (June 11th, 2019) - As I said elsewhere in the thread, I have a hard time looking back at this and not thinking this was the big double-dip of the 4K era so far. Sony drummed up a ton of good stuff for this set, and in and of itself, I think it's a nice package, but it seems impossible to believe that Sony did not already know they would be producing a new edition to promote Ghostbusters: Afterlife on home video. Had the movie not been delayed for almost two years, we might have gotten the new box set releasing this week at the end of 2020. Frankly, I can't help but think there's an explanation there for why the Steelbook went out of print almost immediately and didn't return -- the people who missed out would've been rewarded with the new box set. It's also kind of a bummer because it does a disservice to both sets of new extras produced for both films, in a way. If we'd gotten the entire range of new extras that appear on both sets at once, this new one would be even more of a slam dunk.
  • Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection 4K UHD (February 1st, 2022) - I don't have mine yet, but I'd say this is really worthwhile upgrade over the initial 4K UHDs and a reasonably worthwhile upgrade over the previous 4K UHDs, given the new Dolby Vision pass on the original two films, the new extras, and especially the OOP book.
Reading this I realized that I have owned every single one of these releases at one point in time (geez). I was looking forward to this new set as being the FINAL collection I will buy, but I would surmise that to be false? Personally, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Sony/Ghost Corps did up their game significantly with this release. I am absolutely thrilled with all this new content! Don't get me wrong though. Am I a little disappointed that deleted scenes from GBII that we know about are still missing? Oh, absolutely! Seeing the release trailer with the Eugene Levy shot, I would've assumed all the shot footage with him helping them escape would've been included? How is the Ecto-1A scenes not included? Well, I think I know why? Sony has to pay General Motors now every time they show the vehicle. Sounds stupid but it's true. Have you bought any merchandise in the last decade of the Ecto-1/Ecto-1A only to see the GM logo on the packaging?

We didn't get the full Fort Detmerring scene because of dumb legalities like that. In 2016, our group was invited to Sony for the reveal of the ATC trailer and Sony provided a meal to the fan groups where Ivan Reitman went around table by table to talk to us fans. While he sat at our table I asked him about the Fort Detmerring scene. His response was that it simply ran too long and slowed the pacing of the film down which is why it was cut. Also, he said the best bit - being the blow job - still worked in the montage without all the rest of the scene. I said to him that fans have been wanting to see that scene since knowing about it. I guess maybe that request hadn't fallen on deaf ears. Fast forward sometime later and someone sent us a picture that someone posted online of the master tapes for the Fort Detmerring scene. OMG! They found it!

Fast forward to 2019, a few of us are asked out to Sony to provide props for a photoshoot. This happened a few months before Fan Fest and right on the cusp of the steelbook blu-ray release (the one with all the new bonus content). I had asked somebody in particular if the Fort Detmerring scene would even be on the blu-ray where it was confirmed, BUT that they had to cut out a large portion of the scene due to legal reasons (ie not wanting to compensate John Volstad - I assume). It's also why the Showreel tape or whatever its called had the audio muted at the beginning. They just have some silly legal stuff they have to abide by. Is it why some of these scenes are omitted from the new set? Yeah, more than likely I predict.

I am going to guess that having to pay GM is the reason why the 'possessed Ray' and the additional Sherman Tulley scenes are omitted because they feature scenes of the Ecto-1A. Also, was the company or prop maker that made the Subway Ghost creature credited in the film? Were those scenes even shot? If not, that would sense why they're not on this set. Now the composited Slimer scenes, the Liberty Island ending and other scenes like the changing out of the firehouse sign make no sense why they're not on there unless they're lost?
Obviously I know nothing of the specifics, but I can't imagine why Sony wouldn't just money hat those involved to get the full material out there. Eehhhh.... I guess if we saw the material it would probably make sense.

Like the Spider-man 3 cut material sounded amazing on paper and solved some of the pacing problems. And then the 3.1 cut leaked and.... no the cut content was nothing to write home about and didn't solve any of the issues.

I'd say the only difference is with Afterlife we have literally seen some of the material that was cut and it looks ace. Like.... slimed waitress, doritos, popcorn.... that all looks great to me!
910dohead wrote: January 31st, 2022, 8:45 amReading this I realized that I have owned every single one of these releases at one point in time (geez). I was looking forward to this new set as being the FINAL collection I will buy, but I would surmise that to be false?
I owned all except the individuals of the double feature DVD (I guess technically I owned the individual of the first film for a couple of weeks when I was initially given the wrong reward at Fan Fest for my ticket package and they told me to keep it) and the gift set version of it. I also never bought the gift set version of the Blu-ray double feature -- I never buy the ones with the statues because I'm both not really interested and have nowhere to put them. I think I bought the individual 4K UHDs just a couple of weeks before I learned about the 35th Anniversary Steelbook, which was frustrating, especially because I didn't have a 4K player in 2016 and thus didn't upgrade for awhile.

I never considered that legal issues might prevent the release of further deleted scenes. I guess it makes sense, but I wonder how much it could possibly cost. You'd think Sony could put some of the $1b+ in merch money they've hauled in over the years toward it (and I don't know if "merch" encompasses all the money they must have made off of all these editions, plus digital copies, rentals, etc)...

Still, can't wait for my set to arrive tomorrow. Frustrated that it's "by 10pm." Hopefully a little earlier than that...
Extras watched, all over in the blink of an eye

It’s funny how an Ivan advert for the (then) exciting upcoming DVD format becomes a nostalgia piece in its Ken right.

The GB2 cut scenes aren’t that interesting but the Dailies are more exciting.

The Afterlife extra-extra is cool too, it seems to be a message to whoever supplied the car?
Mine arrived today and I’m just pottering through it. I’m only being slightly hyperbolic when I say the montage in the assembly cut of GB1 is worth the price of entry alone. It’s quite something, and I’ll say no more to spoil it!
Ecto24601 liked this
It's 12am where I am at. FEBRUARY 1ST.

Any more questions I am more than free to answer and discuss now about the box set! 😆
The TV edits are funny as well. They serve another purpose - It brings back how many of us first saw Ghostbusters, either on TV or on VHS. No wonder people thought the suits were grey. It’s amazing how many years went bye before people could really see the film properly, in wide aspect and vivid colours.
deadderek, robbritton liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]